We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

I only have a short stopover in Santiago - flight due to arrive 17:00 hrs and departing next day at 13:30. I was thinking of staying the night at city hotel just to see a little more or, with time constraints, would it be best to stay at airport hotel ? Also if you think city hotel - what time should I leave city hotel for airport?

Many thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,342 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

At this time of year you want to check in for an international flight 3 hours before and 2 for a national flight. It would take you about half an hour to the airport from virtually anywhere in town.

You wouldn't have time for much more than dinner in town the day you arrive if you stay in town. But you could stay in town if you wanted the break or at the airport. The Hilton Garden Hotel is very nearby and gets good reviews, as does the Holiday Inn directly in the airport.

Sydney
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

Thanks dancingmolly. The stopover is in late June and I'm flying in from Rio. If I decided to stay in the city and booked an airport shuttle service for 10.00 am would that be enough time to get me to the airport bearing in mind they service other hotels as well? Also are LAN flight schedules coming from Brazil reliable or do they change a lot?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,342 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

When you book the shuttle they ask what flight and usually sort the picking up to get everyone there in reasonable time. If you got picked up at 10 you would be in plenty of time.

I don't know anything about flights, sorry. But airlines do change schedules sometimes, so keep on top of any changes.

Sydney
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

You've been a great help. Thank you

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

If you decide to stay at an airport hotel, I recommend the Hilton Garden, as dancingmolly suggested. I stayed a night there and had a wonderful experience. It's pretty new and tastefully decorated, the rooms are sleek and modern, the beds comfortable, the rooms quiet, and the hotel restaurant is delicious. On top of that, it was one of the more affordable airport hotels.

Sydney
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

Ok I will keep that in mind Islandgirl as I'm now favouring an airport hotel. Thanks for answering

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, which was a great place to stay when I got the last flights in and first flights out from various locations (the Atacama, Easter Island and Punta Arenas). It was great that all I needed to do was to cross over to the terminal building, without worrying about taking any transport.

Sydney
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

Thanks Colin_matthew. it's probably best for me to stay at airport hotel. The convenience of Holiday Inn being across road from airport is appealing. Appreciate you taking time to respond

9. Re: Santiago Airport hotel or city hotel ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Santiago