We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making connections at Santiago airport

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
329 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Making connections at Santiago airport

We are planning a trip to Chile from the US in March of 2007, and will be arriving in Santiago at 7:41 AM on March 13. We would like to make connections to Punta Arenas that same day. LAN Chile has flights at 11:15 AM and at 12:40 PM (I know these times can change, but assume there will be something similar). If our incoming flight is more or less on time, would we have time to go through customs, etc., change terminals, and make one of these flights without too much concern? Or should we plan to overnight in Santiago and go on to Punta Arenas the next day?

Also, we will be flying from Puerto Montt through Santiago and on to Calama on March 27. About how much time should we allow in Santiago for changing planes? Are LAN flights pretty much on schedule, or should we allow extra time for delays?

We appreciate any advice or hints anyone can give us. We have been to Argentina and Peru, but this is our first trip to Chile, and we are looking forward to it very much!

Thanks,

Carol

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
329 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making connections at Santiago airport

Sorry for the multiple posts! I thought I only clicked once, but obviously, I messed up! This is the first time I have posted here; I will be more careful next time.

Carol

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making connections at Santiago airport

Delays can occur, but LAN flights tend to be on schedule. If you arrive at 7.41am then you should have no problem in making your connection. It would be safer to take the later flight. The only problem in Santiago is fog, but that is not common in March and many planes can land these days with very low visibility.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making connections at Santiago airport

The Santiago airport is very effecient. It is not big either so when you mention changing terminals, I don't think there are different terminals. I could be wrong but it is not like Atlanta or Miami.

Do you know about the reciprocal tax that Americans must pay to enter Chile? It is $100. There is an inside page explaining it as well as threads you can find by putting the term in the search box.

If you have extra time, the airport has beautiful jewelry stores that sell lapis lazuli jewelry set in silver and gold. I think the best selection of quality jewelry is found at the airport. You might want to browse through some on the shops.

I also like flying Lan. It has been a pleasure flying them in the past.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
329 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making connections at Santiago airport

Thanks, toid and reinarubia, and dancingmolly, who replied on another thread when I accidentally posted this question three times. Your answers really help. Although we will be tired from the air travel, I think we will go on to Punta Arenas the day we arrive in Santiago.

Thanks again,

Carol

5. Re: Making connections at Santiago airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 15, 2009