We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

longer trip to chile

Berkeley, california
4 posts
Save Topic
longer trip to chile

I and my wife are planning on a longer (several month) stay in chile and we were hoping for some thoughts, on the following topics.

Cheapest place to book airfares,

best place to stay (rent an apt, rent a room, share an apt, etc),

Health insurance, (will most US policies cover travel for this extended of a period)

any other thoughts, doubts, suggestions, ecouragements would be appriciated.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: longer trip to chile

I think if you get a little more specific you may get some more answers..

I just booked RT/Biz class from SFO for December with Delta through Atlanta for $2350 each.. not bad at all really..

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: longer trip to chile

Starting with the most important, insurance. MedJet comes very highly recommended for emergencies and can be bought for the period of time which suits you. I'm not sure how it is on non-emergency (eye test or similar) coverage, so check. If you already have health insurance, contact the company to see if it covers you outside the US and for how long. Sometimes you can pay a bit more and get coverage.

This website has information on longer stays and will give you an idea of prices for housing:

http://www.contactchile.cl/en/chile-guide.php

It also has a lot of information on living and working in Santiago.

I don't know about airfares, sorry.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: longer trip to chile

The best alternative for airfares is simply to keep checking the internet sites. The best fares, for direct flights, are normally either on LAN or American. Avoid if you can the high seasons for travel in Chile approx. 15 December to March 1and first 2 weeks of July.

It probably would be best to rent a furnished apartment or house. There is a wide selection. A search for "apartamentos amoblados" will bring up lots of possibilities. If you have some Spanish then try the avisos economicos in El Mercurio (emol.com).

Chile is a wonderful place, you will enjoy your stay.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: longer trip to chile

My husband and I are returning the fourth time to Chile in Nov. We were able to get the best airfares based on frequent flyers miles through Delta and their partners. We rented an apartment that was recommended but doing a search on this forum. Enter apartment under the green stripe.

Anything else you are interested in, try putting in key words under the green stripe. I often do this in TripAdvisor and I am able to plan very successful vacations without a travel agent. Once you have come up with specific questions you may be able to pinpoint exactly what you want to know.

5. Re: longer trip to chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 13, 2009