We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid activation Iphone 5 in Chile

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid activation Iphone 5 in Chile

Hey there, I am bumping this subject up...

I am going in Chile for the 4th year in a row this July... I am just chasing winter hehehe...

I got a factory unlocked Iphone 5 and I cannot find anywhere on the web my answer.

Is there anywhere I could activate it for 3 weeks and get the 3g coverage ?

Any tips about that ?

thanks in advance for your help.

If youre interested in my trip:

Ill be landing in Concepcion heading to Las Trancas to ride a couple days, If the weather suck I might go visit Pucon and head down to Puerto Montt to see a bit of Pantagonia.

thanks again for your help!

Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid activation Iphone 5 in Chile

On our visit in April we had an unlocked Android phone and bought a Movistar SIM from a vendor on Amazon. They even provided several RUT (tax ID) numbers to use when we arrived in Chile. Should be easy right? Just pop in the SIM at the airport and buy some time right from the phone. Well Chile is one step ahead, and Movistar now requires both a RUT and the number from a Cédula de Identidad (national ID card) to use their service. Our SIM was no use and we could find no help at any of the phone stores we tried.

I would recommend that you leave your iPhone at home and instead rent a phone that is 100% guaranteed to work in Chile.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid activation Iphone 5 in Chile

Confusing, are you saying Movistar no longer accepts a foreigner's Chilean tax ID number and now only takes the number from a resident's Chilean ID card?

Edited: 11:22 am, May 29, 2013
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid activation Iphone 5 in Chile

On the allchile.net forum,

http://www.virginmobile.cl/places

has been recommended.

But I have no idea if they are used to dealing with non-residents without a RUT number for activation.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid activation Iphone 5 in Chile

GJJIM,

I now know what you are talking about.

For others out there, for Movistar, it appears you can activate regular voice and text messaging by just a RUT number by calling the 103 number.

But if you need to buy data bolsas, you need a valid Chilean ID card to activate your online account in order to buy them with your prepaid credit.

Edited: 2:02 am, May 30, 2013
Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid activation Iphone 5 in Chile

Eeuu,

Yes, I should have been more clear -- we wanted mainly data access to use the Google map navigation away from wifi hotspots. Movistar offers cheap prepaid data plans, but we couldn't sign up for one on either the unlocked Android phone or an iPad.

6. Re: Prepaid activation Iphone 5 in Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 01, 2014