We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these 5 apartments in Providencia for location

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Which of these 5 apartments in Providencia for location

After being perfectly happy with our 3 night booking at the Hotel Orly Apartments we may not be able to stay there as we may now have 3 of us, instead of 2, travelling in June/July. I have narrowed down my search based on available apartments in the Providencia area that look suitable. Can anyone who knows any of these apartments please comment on them and the benefits of the different locations. I have seen in a couple of comments that people didn't like the area near Manuel Montt metro, yet others say it is a great location.

We will have 3 nights and will be out sightseeing but just want a bit of space in the apartment. As it will be winter, an outdoor pool is irrelevent. We just want to be able to walk to the metro, closer is better but a few blocks is no big deal. We want to walk to a bar, cafe and dinner in the area and do not want to have to take a taxi. We won't be nightclubbing etc. Proximity to a supermarket for a few snacks & milk for coffee would be good but no big deal. Free in room wi-fi may also sway my decision. The following are around the same price. 2bedroom is nicer but its more important to be in the right location but most only have 1 apartment left so I need to make a quick decision.

My options (no particular order) are:

Apart Hotel Rent A Suite, Nueva De Lyon (Los Leones metro) 1bedroom apartment

JT Suites, Calle Francisco Antonio Encina, Pedro de Valdivia metro) 1 bedroom apart

AparthotelPremium Tours & Lodging , Barros Borgono (Manuel Montt metro) 2 bedroom apart

City Inn Apart 2, Dr Barros Borgono (Manuel Montt metro) 2 bedroom apartment

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which of these 5 apartments in Providencia for location

I can't speak to the places you have asked about, but I can highly recommend the TempoRent ApartHotel on Calle Santa Magdalena. It's a bit old and tired, and needed painted, but is kept immaculately clean, and everything was in good condition otherwise. The front desk staff speak very good English, too, which didn't matter to me, but would clearly be helpful for you.

I had a huge (for Santiago) 1 bedroom unit with a full kitchen (fully equipped) and terrace, and daily maid service like a hotel. It was more than I'd hoped to spend per night, but after finding myself in an absolute dump up the street for the price I'd set out to pay (Providencia Suites - avoid like the plague), it was well worth the extra to have intact walls, locking windows, no mold, and everything else including a lot more quiet. Ask for a unit on the courtyard side, away from the construction on Andres Bello. A huge office building is going up there, but honestly, I couldn't even hear it.

The location could not be beat for someone on foot without a car. Most importantly, it's a safe area, and I was comfortable walking alone even at night after the rush hour crowds had died down. Taxis are out the front door or within a block. Within about three blocks, there is everything you'd ever need, including the metro (Los Leones), a Santa Isabel grocery store, multiple pharmacies, Paris and Falabella department stores, dozens and dozens of small shops of every conceivable type, many small shopping centers, and there are at least 20 decent restaurants and cafes within two blocks, with the majority within a block, and then there are just more and more beyond that. A few blocks further, and still well within easy walking distance, is the gigantic Costanera Center, which is the largest shopping mall in South America, and includes all the usual mall stuff, including movie theaters, plus some of the biggest grocery stores you'll ever see.

As for tours, in addition to what others have mentioned, there is also the Turistik hop-on, hop-off double decker bus. It costs 20,000 pesos and you can ride it all day. I never got around to doing it, so I can't comment on what it's like, but it was well-recommended by the W Hotel last year when I stayed there, and its route hits all the main tourist sites. Their route map is also one of the few decent maps of Santiago I've found and was very useful for just getting around on my own without having to drag a guidebook.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which of these 5 apartments in Providencia for location

Thanks wah, the apartment must be in a similar area to the first apartment that I listed. However the Hotel Orly apartments were able to put in an extra bed so we do not need to change properties now. The other problem with most of the apartments was the lack of staff on weekends and we would arrive after midday on the weekend. Thanks anyway.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which of these 5 apartments in Providencia for location

Dear Angel88, happy to hear that you are gonna stay at Orly - the hotel you wanted from the start. We ended up booking an apartment with them too. Hope everything goes well for both of us.

On the confirmation email I got from Orly, they mentioned that the room was * 01 Bedroom with 01 matrimonial bed + 01 additional bed * 01 Fully equipped Bathroom * 01 Living room * 01 Fully equipped.itchen .

Did you have difficulties to guarantee the extra bed? Was there any charge? As I said before, we are taking our 3 year old daughter with us. I have informed Orly about that, and their website said that children under 3 years have cribs for free. But there was no clear indication if my daughter can stay on the extra bed that comes with the apartment or if I have to request a crib.

Best regards from Brazil.

Leonardo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which of these 5 apartments in Providencia for location

Hi Leonardo, it would appear that the extra bed is included. However if in any doubt it is always best to send them an email to verify that you have your 3 year old daughter and that the bed is free. You can also book the hotel airport pick up or drop off for a set figure of about CLP18,000 (only slightly more expensive than a taxi but this is arranged via the hotel so feels a lot safer). Just ask them when you contact them. They were extremely helpful and efficient when I emailed them several times. A traveller who I have become friendly with on this site has just stayed at these apartments last week and she was extremely happy with them and their location. They are adequate, not big, but the price was excellent and location very good, although they could be a little noisy, but this does not seem to be uncommon in this part Santiago.

15. Re: Which of these 5 apartments in Providencia for location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 16, 2014