We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

We just returned from Santiago and eager to share this unpleasent experience with all members. We booked a private tour for 2 days for our group of 10 people. The 1st day was to pick up the group from the cruise port at Valapariso for a city tour of Vina del Mar and Valapariso, then to drop the group at Santiago hotel. The 2nd day was a full day city tour of Santiago.

After searching all comments from the web, we decided to choose the top-rated private guide, Leonardo Cuzmar, who had all good comments from different travellers. We paid the deposit few months before the trip and everything was set. We also exchanged cellular phone numbers in case there would be any unexpected situation might occur before the tour day.

On the 1st scheduled tour day, at the port of Valapariso, the entire group with luggages were waiting for Leonardo to show up at 9 am. Time past and he did not show up. We called him but the call did not go through. We texted and sent emails to him and had no reply. We then put his name on a piece of paper and walked to the door of the port, which immediately drew attentions from other private tour guides, they all laughed at us because it was unusual for a client to walk around with a guide's name on a sign. Anyway, it worked, a couple of guides told us that they know Leonardo and offered to call him on behalf of us. It was almost an hour after the schedueld meeting time before a person got hold of Leonardo on the phone. They spoke in Spanish and we could not understand. When I took over the phone, Leonardo told me that he had a car accident and could not come. I asked him whether he could arrange some other guide to help us out. He said he could not. He told us to find our way to Santiago. We were in a panic because the port was almost empty and many guides standing by the port already left with their clients. Anyway, we were told by a person to walk out from the port to the street to find a taxi. We were lucky to find 2 vans to pick up the entire group. It was a mess but we got it resolved after 2 & 1/2 hours stress and panic time.

In order to give Leonardo a benefit of doubt on the reason of "car accident", and we in fact also had difficulty to secure another private guide in such a short period of time, after confirming Leonardo had no injury and was fine in the car accident, we decided to continue 2nd day Santiago city tour (full day) with Leonardo. However, Leonardo turned us down and said he had pain on his neck, he wanted to let his associate, Maria to handle the 2nd day tour. We did not care too much at this time, and we also wanted to ensure our deposit would not disappear, we agreed to it.

The Santiago city tour was a joke. As we were staying in a hotel in the city centre, we were taken into a van and drove through the city in a circle again and again in the morning. The guide pointed out different buildings to us while the van was moving. We did not have much opportunities to take pictures unless it was a red traffic light. Everytime we asked for a stop, Maria said that it was not safe. Then, it was lunch hour, and we were taken to Central Market. As soon as we were off the van, we were led to a restaurant. We did not agree and told Maria that we wanted to visit the market and take some pictures before going to eat. She used same reason and said this was not safe. We had a little debate with her and finally she gave in and gave us our "freedom"....... we could choose our restaurant and tour the market on our own....... what a joke!!!!

Our city tour was scheudled to be finished at 4:30pm, it was about 3:15pm and the van pulled into the parking of a jewellery shop (a house in a residential area), Maria then told us we could shop our jewellery there. The entire group was shocked and refused to go in. So the van drove away from the store and we were taken to a garden closed to the jewellery store to see the garden and swans. It was almost 4 pm and we had not yet to San Cristobal Hill (which is a must sightseeing point in Santiago). So we asked Maria and she said it was not in her itinerary. We were very surprised on the answer. After a mild protest, Maria agreed to take us to San Cristoball Hill. Although it was a short stay, we saw the beautiful view of the Santiago city. The tour finished at our hotel at 4:35pm. Maria gave us 5 minutes extra service!

We felt the service that we received on the Santiago city tour was not a private tour. It was almost like a typical big group tour, jailed in a bus and only had city view from the bus, and sale pitch to shopping, and pre-arranged lunch arrangement. The entire goal of having a private tour was down to the drain.

As a top-rated private guide in Tripadvisor, Leonardo's performance was under the par. In another words, very disappointed. I think as a reputable private guide, if he really had a car accident, he should contact us as soon as possible, and he should also try his best effort to find a replacement person to help us out. To allow a group of 10 people with luggages standing helplessly at the port which is a stange place to these group of people, is not a responsible attitude. Further to this, after Leonardo told us Maria would give us the tour, we did not hear further from Leonardo. It is very common that any reputable private guide would not follow up with the clients after the tour is finished (if he was not the person to give the tour).

As a conclusion, our group is very disappointed on our choice on Leonardo.

toronto
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

In the last paragraph of my previous comment about Leonardo Cuzmar, should be "It is very UNCOMMON that any reputable private guide would not follow up with the clients after the tour is finished".

As a final comment on the service of Leonardo Cuzmar: if he was a good private guide in the past, he definately ruins his reputation this time. This is a black mark on his report card!!

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
530 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

Thank you so much for your trip report. We were planning to hire Leonardo Cuzmar for our group of 6 but now definitely will stay away from him. My experience traveling elsewhere is some guides become popular on travel forums, get a lot of requests to be hired, over promise then farm out to subordinates who are sub par otherwise they would be having their own clients.Besides the original guide pays the sub contractor so little that inevitably short cuts are taken.We make it clear, we will not accept substitutes and will immediately cancel the tour if someone else shows up in place of the guide.

toronto
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

You are right, Paparam. We should not accept any substitutes in our future private tour. We learnt the lesson. I started to wonder whether those previous reviews on Leonardo Cuzmar were ture reviews or not. It does not make sense that someone was so good and praised by many travellers in the past becomes so irresponsible. Sigh............

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

thanks for your trip report. so sorry to hear of your troubles. i tried to contact leo this month based on TA reviews and never heard back. another poster said he didn't hear from him either. perhaps he was hurt in the car accident? i'm grateful that you both wrote and now i've learned a valuable lesson. for reference would you be able to tell me how long was the Valpo to Santi tour suppose to take and for how much. you can pm me thanks.

toronto
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

We received an email from Leonardo Cuzmar yesterday. He said my report will affect his business and asked me to change the content of my report. Our group wants to emphasis that we did not mean to affect anyone's business. However, the content of the report is accurate and we just wanted to share our unpleasant experience with the members. Despite what we had gone through in Chile, we felt sorry for Leo if he receive less business due to any clients may lose confidence on him. We wish he will gain back his reputation in future, with a proved best service to his clients, of course, to be a reliable guide too, in the future.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

I think that ,since your post is the only negative one I have ever seen about this guide, it should not put people off using him. People are quick to post negative experiences so, if this had been one of a pattern, there would be more like yours. Mr Cuzmar has a very good reputation as a guide.

Strafford, NH
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

I am so shocked to hear you had such an experience with Leonardo. We used him as a guide in Dec 2012 and could not have been more pleased with his tours. In fact I just highly recommended him to another who will be doing the same itinerary as we did. perhaps because of the "accident" he might have become a bit disoriented??? I am not doubting your post in any way and am so very sorry that it went so badly for you but i would still recommend Leo overwhelmingly.

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

Sergio is another guide I can highly recommend in Santiago. He is reliable and fun and he can provide many references to support this from people in the US and Europe who have done tours and transport with him, Contact on skendalltravel@gmail.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

Interesting posts . I still havent heard bsac from Leonardo. I have followed up on my first email but still no response. Maybe my mail didnt get to him or my dates didnt suit him ... all in all a bit dissapointing....

PeterAus68

10. Re: An unpleasant experience, private guide tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 17, 2014