We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starbucks in Santiago

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Starbucks in Santiago

Dancingmolly sent me a list of Starbucks cafes in Santiago when she found out how much my husband frequents them here in the US. Just for fun, I thought I'd post if for others of us who have to have their Starbucks fix. However, please be sure to check out the Havanna Cafes and have an alfajor with your coffee.

Starbucks in Santiago (The ones with the # are most central.)

1 . # Downtown Santiago - Agustinas 640

2 . Alonso de Cordova 2894 - Vitacura (the fanciest shopping

street in Stgo.)

3 . #- Alto Las Condes shopping mall, Las Condes

4. # Av. Apoquindo 3575

5. Camino de Asis Avda. Las Condes 12.340 Local 3

6. Costanera Av Costanera ? Edificio de la Industria

7. # Isidora Goyenechea 2940 , Providencia (good street for

restaurants, also boasts a Hooters and TGIF!)

8. # Parque Arauco shopping mall, Las Condes, Av Kennedy

9 . Plaza Vespucio Av. Serafin Zamora- La Florida

10. Portal La Dehesa shopping mall, La Dehesa

11. General Blanche 11860, Las Condes. (attached to a gas station)

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

For those who don't like Starbucks, there are a few local places which do good coffee, cakes and sandwiches. Tavelli has several branches in Santiago and do a menu of main dish/dessert/drink and coffee for about $10 US. They have good salads. Coppelia is another place with branches around town.

Downtown you have several small places for coffee plus something to eat. Café del Parque on José Miguel de la Barra near the Parque Forestal, the traditional Confitería Torres on Avenida Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins 1576, the Emporio La Rosa, Merced 291 (on the corner of Monjitas) which is ideal for empanadas, salads or pasta. There are a number of places around the Cerro Santa Lucia/Parque Forestal/Lastarria area, all individually owned and not chains.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

Sorry Reina, I go out of my way to AVOID Starbucks in foreign countries. I'd go to a 'cafe con piernas' before I'd go to a Starbuck's in Santiago :-)

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

DM

Thanks for the additional places. We actually prefer the local cafes with character.

DT

Don't you have a Starbucks on every corner up your way? I took a tour of Vancouver on the trolley and during the ride counted more than twenty Starbucks near the downtown area besides other coffee shops. Anyway, as I explained in a thread in the BA forum, my husband will go there because he is such a creature of habit. He'll have to go at least once to compare. I'll have to report back what we think.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

Yes Reina, we are overly saturated w/ Starbuck's here in PDX--that's why I avoid them!

I found a really nice little cafe just off the Plaza de Armas with outdoor seating. It was a pedestrian only street, so no car pollution belching in my face. First time I went was for mid-morning coffee. Second time was for breakfast. I thought they would at least have medialunas. But no, only lemon pie & cake w/ a 1,000 layers of dulce de leche! My blood sugar level reached the danger level after consuming my sweetened cortado & cake!

North American East...
Level Contributor
212 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

One good thing about the Starbucks worldwide explosion is that people are being exposed to better coffee. I remember a time when the only coffee you could get in Santiago was Nescafé instant, and I don't mean only in the supermarket. First rate hotels and restaurants proclaimed they were proud to serve Nescafé to their patrons. It was enough to make me want to drink tea.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

hotel.detective, I've always been able to find proper coffee although it is easier to find now I'll admit. I personally don't like Starbucks coffee but prefer some of the places I mentioned. I have a feeling Starbucks will go the way of the Au Bon Pain chain eventually when the novelty wears off. It is a lot more expensive than other places.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

DM

I was surprised when you sent me such a long list. I thought there was only one store. I can see US tourists keeping one Starbucks in business but not eleven. If they charge more than the other cafes I don't think the locals will support it. If I had to choose between Starbucks or Havanna I would choose Havanna, especially if the price is less.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

DM

I just read the last few posts to my husband. He wants me to ask you on his behalf:

"What if I open a Starbucks Con Piernas and sell alfajores? I think the concept will catch on." (He wants to stick with the Starbucks' price.)

North American East...
Level Contributor
212 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

dancingmolly: Nor am I a fan of Starbucks. I have acquaintance who is in the coffee roasting business. He calls Starbucks "charbucks" in reference to what he considers barbeque coffee. When Westin hotels first switched to serving Starbucks about 10 or more years ago, I remember a waiter in one of their hotel restaurants warning me of the change. When I asked why he mentioned it, he said that patrons had been continually complaining about the switch, calling the coffee bitter and strong. Strange to see how tastes have evolved, and Columbian brown has basically been left on the sidelines. The best coffee I've ever had was in Indonesia on Java, where it is finely ground (Turkish style) and so thick your spoon remains standing in the cup.

Are there still "Au Bon Pain" shops in Santiago? I remember the one in Las Condes. The only place I see them outside of the US these days is in Thailand.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starbucks in Santiago

No, Au Bon Pain closed. The combination of the higher prices and getting your coffee in a paper cup plus no waiter did them in. For a while they were popular and had several branches. Everyone felt modern and international. I think this will happen with St'bucks. The one downtown has jazz evenings and lectures so it might be more interesting. I haven't been. The thing is, people here don't go and collect a coffee on the way to the office like they do in London, for instance. Coffee is for a little break, preferably with a friend...........or to stare at some legs (café con piernas) which, I am told, men find relaxing. At least ABP's coffee was good enough. We find St'bcks coffee very bitter and the syrups and things they add to the coffee are an insult to coffee drinkers everywhere. The best for me will always be Colombian or a Peruvian caracolillo. You can get a fair variety in the best supermarkets here or there is a shop called Granos y Hojas in Providencia which is quite good for coffee beans (teas too).