We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cerro Santa Lucía and Cerro San Cristóbal

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cerro Santa Lucía and Cerro San Cristóbal

Is going to these 2 spots recommended? Safe enough during day time? Do I need to keep watching over my shoulder at these places?

Also, how about in the Plaza de Armas?

Thanks

Santiago...
Level Contributor
319 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cerro Santa Lucía and Cerro San Cristóbal

Yes, it is recommended - they are some of the most visited places in Santiago. Regarding safety, I would say that they are safer than most places in the US. Chile is safe...just don't go showing your fancy camera or cell phone...

usa
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cerro Santa Lucía and Cerro San Cristóbal

Thanks Iossy -

Which are the areas/neighborhoods I should try to avoid?

Any roads/streets in particular with a "bad" reputation (in the places visited by tourists)?

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cerro Santa Lucía and Cerro San Cristóbal

Definitely visit both! Leisurely walk up to the top of Cerro Santa Lucia, enjoying the fountain and gardens along the way. Take the cable car to the top of Cerro San Cristobal. It offers a higher and different view of Santiago and of course, the giant Virgin Mary at the top is quite spectacular.

May I suggest that when you come down from Cerro San Cristobal, that you visit Pablo Neruda’s house. It is within easy walking distance and offers a very interesting port of call. You can only tour the house by buying a ticket, but it is worth the money as the guided tour is very informative. There is also a nice little cafe in the foyer where you can grab a coffee and recharge your batteries.

This area of Santiago and the Plaza de Armas are definitely safe to walk around in during the day; exercise the usual caution of your personal belongings as you would in any city.

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cerro Santa Lucía and Cerro San Cristóbal

The cable car isn't running on San Cristobal anymore. But definitely go up the back way and enjoy the gardens. It's perfectly safe. The whole of Santiago is really really safe, watch yourself in crowds and on the metro as you would anywhere but there's nowhere in the city I wouldn't go, even the dodgier looking parts are perfectly safe. The 'rough' neighbourhoods like Maipu and La Florida are pretty far from the centre anyway.

Santiago...
Level Contributor
319 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cerro Santa Lucía and Cerro San Cristóbal

I think "thedoormouse" was talking about the funicular that goes from Bellavista up the mountain and not the cable car that doesn't run anymore. When taking the funicular you can also get a great view of the city.

6. Re: Cerro Santa Lucía and Cerro San Cristóbal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 15, 2013