We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but can anyone confirm what the current reciprocity fee for Australians entering Chile (and also Argentina, if you happen to know)?

I've tried the embassy website but for some reason the site won't load for me at the moment.

Thanks so much!

114 replies to this topic
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

Edited: 11:02 pm, December 09, 2013
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

If we go from Argentina to Chile but using an Australian passport in Argentina and Italian in Chile, can we avoid the fee?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

why not use the italian passport in both countries? then no fees at all....

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

I see you've asked much the same on the argentina forum. I don't see how your Oz passport comes in to it at all?

I've never known a plane ticket to have any connection to a passport. Simply use your Italian passport unless there is a reason not to, eg it still shows you as being in Oz.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

The only place you need to show your Australian passport is at check in for your first international flight to Argentina. It is just to show how you are entering Argentina and that you will not need to pay the fee. After that you put the Australian passport away safely, take out the Italian one and use that to enter/leave both Argentina and Chile. You don't need the Australian one again until you return to Australia. Immigration only wants to see a valid passport when you enter the country. They aren't interested in where you reside, where you were born or whether you have a second nationality. They just want to see a valid passport which doesn't expire in under 6 months.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

Hi! thank you guys.. We are concerned because Yesterday we talk with the airline and they said that they charge normally the fee on the airplane and if the system says that my BF is Australian he should pay then, even if he has an italian passport. I asked her if we could put the italian details then on the ticket, she said that they will send all the details to Australian and Argentina customs and if they don't match we are going to be in troubles.

We thought that maybe we are force to pay the fee then.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

I don't see how they could charge you on the airplane. Each individual must fill in their data online, pay the fee online and print out the receipt. That would be impossible on an airplane.

At check-in say you are entering Argentina with an Italian passport and show it.

What airline is it?

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

Hi,

does anyone know if you have to pay the Chilean fee if im only in the country for transit reasons.

Luke

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

If your luggage is checked all the way through and you remain in the transit lounge on an international to international connection, you do not have to pay the fee.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?

$US117 a few days ago

Reply to: Current Reciprocity Fee for Australians?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted