We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise / air transfer

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,429 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise / air transfer

The cruise I will be on will land on the morning 6 Dec in Santiago and I need to be on my return flight to the States departing from Lima that evening. What is the most inexpensive way to go from Santiago to Lima?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise / air transfer

HSJ, do you mean arriving on a cruise ship? If so, you will dock in Valapraiso and have to get to Santiago. This will take about one and a half hours depending on time of day etc. I have no idea how long it takes to clear customs from a ship. I know you can get a transfer from the ship to the airport. The flight from here to Lima is about 3 hours but there is a time difference between Perú and Chile. Check your itinerary carefully to make sure you can do all this and meet your flight in Lima on time.

Also check whether US passengers arriving by ship pay the 100 dollar reciprocity fee when entering Chile. Air passengers do, land passengers don't, so check.

As for most inexpensive, booking early is your best bet. Flying is your only option.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Chile
Chile
South America
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,429 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise / air transfer

Thanks, Dancing.

Yes, we will be arriving in Valapraiso. Thanks for all the info.

I was wondering if there are any "discount airlines" that fly from Chile to Peru. (In Europe, you can fly almost anywhere for under $100 on Easy Jet. In the U.S., there is the same situation with Southwest Airlines).

So far, the best fare I can find is on AerolineasArgentinas for $300. That is almost 1/2 the price of our airline ticket from Los Angeles (California) to Lima!!

Are there any other airlines besides the big ones: Lan Chile, Varig, Pluna and AerolineasArgentinas?

Thanks again for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise / air transfer

We pay more for our flights than you do unfortunately. Cheaper to come here than go there. There are no discount airlines like Easy etc. You could try an intensive internet search to see if you found anything cheaper but 300 is around the mark. For your info, AA had a very disruptive strike recently and not much was resolved. It is all still looming.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise / air transfer

I suspect you might have to reconsider your original flight. Presumably your cruise leaves from Lima, but it might be more economical, to buy a return to Santiago, with a Lima stopover, and forget about the Lima - Santiago portion. Just a suggestion which I do not even know is feasible. I would discuss the question with a travel agent. It is as Dancing Molly says risky to book so far ahead with Aerolineas - they have been having lots of problems to such an extent that they might even exist by December.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Santiago
Santiago