We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide recommendation

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Guide recommendation

I am almost hesitant to write this, as it seems these threads tend to cause controversy, but I wanted to offer my recommendation as I have used other posters recommendations several times before.

Having just got back from Santiago this morning, I wholeheartedly recommend Leonardo Cuzmar (guideschile@gmail.com) as a tourguide in Chile. I used him for 2 things. First, kind of a random request, I asked him to get me tickets to the U de Chile v. Colo Colo football match, as I feared it might sell out. Leonardo bought exactly the tickets I wanted and personally delivered them to my hotel. He was very helpful. Second, my wife and I used his services for a day trip to hike in Banos Morales. I will keep this brief, but we were very pleased with his service. He is very friendly, answered all of our questions ranging from plants and birds to the history of Chilean politics. And, perhaps most importantly, I found him to be very flexible and courteous, his top priority seems to be making sure you enjoy your trip. My wife and I both agreed that our experience in Chile was made better by our time with Leo.

I won't go on any longer, so this doesn't seem like an infomercial, but if anyone has any questions about my experience, please do not hesitate to send me a message. I definitely recommend Leo for anyone planning a trip to Chile.

Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Guide recommendation

I just wanted to say that we just got back from Chile last week. While there, we also used Leonardo Cuzmar and were extremely happy with his services.

He was very accomodating. He took us to Pomaire, Portillo, Cajon del Maipo, Isla Negra and did a 1/2 day walking tour of Santiago. I think the walking tour was the best. He is extremely knowledgeable about Santiago and the pre Columbian history.

Having him walk through the Pre Columbian museum and explaine everything was so helpful. Other people in the museum were brought their by other guides who just dropped them at the door, but Leo went with us and explained all the details.

I would highly recommend him. He can be reached at LeonardoCuzmar@Yahoo.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Guide recommendation

Very helpful...thanks. Just curious; what are his rates? My wife and I will be there for 4 days later this month.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
699 posts
518 reviews
3. Re: Guide recommendation

We returned from Santiago last week and had the pleasure of touring with Leonardo Cuzman for two full days. He is a professional guide with a great deal of knowledge about his country. He has a very positive view of life and the world and it was lovely spending the days with him. One of the two days we drove to Vina del Mar and Valaparaiso. On the way we were told there were many wineries and he offered to stop at as many as we wanted. We asked to see only one (as we have toured many wineries in our state). He selected an organic winery which was a wonderful choice for us.

I am not savvy enough but someone should be sure to move Leo's services to be listed under "Things To Do"..attractions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Guide recommendation

We had such a terrific experience with Leonardo that I have taken your advice and set him up as a Santiago 'Attraction'.

Greenville, South...
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Guide recommendation

Our family just returned from spending 2 months in Chile. We met Leo our 2nd week and he made EVERYTHING easier. My husband had some work to do which left me with my 2 sons (age 5 & 7) and my 19 yr old nephew some days. Leo is awesome with kids too! He took us to the Buin Zoo, helped entertain the kids in the car, didn't mind when they returned with muddy feet and even dropped me at the grocery store while they stayed in the car and waited. He took me to the fish market and helped me pick out fish, ordered for me (my spanish is VERY limited), negotiated prices and advised me on local customs (tipping the guy who filets the fish). I cannot say enough about him to make readers realize how far out of his way he will go to make your trip perfect. He took us skiing, helped with getting everyone fitted and found an area for the kids to play in snow. Leo also helped my husband with business contacts (he does know EVERONE in Chile) and arranged for a great wine tour. The best part?? He actually played with my kids while my husband and I enjoyed the wine tour. My kids had a ball! We ordered some (ok a lot) of wine but it wouldn't be ready until the next day and we were leaving for Cajon del Maipo. Leo drove back to the vineyard the next day (about an hr away), picked up 4 cases of wine and delivered it to our cabin on a Sunday night. We were about 1.5 hours from Santiago! I could keep going on and on but most importantly he is an experienced, knowledgable, genuine guy who can make any trip you want happen. If you have no idea what you want to do, he can plan it. Kids are "no problem", he truly enjoys what he does and his rates are extremely reasonable. My family considers him a friend and would welcome his family to our home if they ever make it to Greenville, SC. To contact him: guideschile@gmail.com

Calabash, North...
2 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Guide recommendation

My husband found Leonardo Cuzmar , a private guide while searching around on Tripadvisor. We were looking for someone to pick us up at the Santiago Airport and give us a brief tour of Santiago before dropping us off at our hotel.

He was the perfect choice.

He was prompt in picking us up at the airport and took us on a car and walking tour of the city. A few of the things we did were see the changing of the guards at the Presidential Palace, eat some breakfast at a "local" eatery, and obtain some pesos. Also, Leonardo took us on the underground metro. I really appreciated Leonardo introducing us to the train system, because the next day we were able to use it on our own without fear of how to use it or how safe it was.

You can read many reviews of how fantastic Leonardo is a a guide - from our experience - they definitely are true.

He is very knowledgeable about Chile and loves to provide as much information as you want.

His english skills are very good so is able to communicate well.

He will customize an itinerary based on your requirements. You can spend as much time or as little time at any one place.

He is quick to respond to inquiries via email. And can be contacted anytime by cell phone.

We highly recommend him.

Leonardo Cuzmar

Bilingual Tour Guide & Private Tours

Cel: (56-9) 91390672.

Email : guideschile@gmail.com

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
7. Re: Guide recommendation

My wife and I ended our South American cruise in Valparaiso. We spent a couple nights in Vina Dell Mar. We hired Leo to pick us up at our hotel and give us a tour of Santiago then bring us to the airport. We talked about our hobbies and found out that both Leo and I enjoyed birdwatching. After a wonderfull lunch at the city market, Leo took us up 10,000 feet into the Andes to see condors. I was able to take some great pictures of these wonderfull birds. If it wasn't for Leo I would have spent 3 weeks in South America without seeing one. I plan on going back to Chile in the future and will definately contact Leo to help me out.

New York, NY
1 post
1 review
8. Re: Guide recommendation

I had the pleasure of having Leonardo Cuzmar as my tour guide in Santiago. He took us out horseback riding in the Andes. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. He is so knowledgeable and passionate about what he does, it's infectious. I thought it was going to be a short pleasant trot along an enclosed space, but it wasnt! We basically went off the trail and literally climbed a mountain on horseback. The views are amazing and everything was perfectly planned from start to finish. This type of excursion is for the more adventurous type, but you won't be disappointed!! Worth every penny.

He even recommended a local spot for dinner that night that was not only delicious but very authentic. I only wish we had more time with him. Whatever tour or excursion you plan to do with him - it will Make your Chile trip complete!!

9. Re: Guide recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:40 pm, June 20, 2013