We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Chile really that expensive?

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is Chile really that expensive?

I hear that Chile is expensive on forums such as Lonely Planet which is geared to backpackers on a budget. Are prices for restaurants comprable to what you would pay in Mexico? I suspect that they would seem reasonable compared to lets say Boston or New York.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Chile really that expensive?

I have no idea what things cost in Mexico, Boston or New York. So:

McDonalds quarterpounder meal = 3.90 US

Fixed menu lunch = 6.00 US

Meal in good restaurant = 20.00 US pp. and up

Large pizza delivered = 11.50 US

Local bus in Santiago = (any distance, any time) 0.68 US

Metro = a bit more than bus, depending on hour

Shared room in hostal = between 10.00 and 15.00 US

Hotel = 30.00 US and way up, single

Pack of cigarettes = 2.50 US expensive brands

Long distance bus, check www.turbus.cl with destination and level of service. Example: Sleeper bus Santiago-Pucon (one below most expensive service, three cheaper options) 58.00 US in summer, lower in winter. One way. There are slightly cheaper options depending on bus company.

Bus Santiago to coast, about 5.00 US.

You will have to decide if this is expensive for you or not. Hope it helps.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Chile really that expensive?

Thank you! These prices don't seem outrageous at all however Argentina and Mexico may be cheaper. I am trying to decide on taking a Spanish course in either Argentina or Chile. I've been to Argentina 3 times and love it there. I would like to see something new and Chile interests me. Would Santiago be a nice place to study in for two weeks? Do you or does anyone know of a good language school in Santiago? Muchisimas gracias

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Chile really that expensive?

There are lots of places. The only one I know personally is Woodward:

http://www.woodward.cl/

In two weeks you won't learn that much but you will pick up some spanish and have a good time. If you have been to BA 3 times you should explore a different bit of South America. See what the courses cost and then decide. I would think that would be your major expense and the one to look at.