We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train buenos aires - santigo

Boston
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
train buenos aires - santigo

Hello! I am looking for a train or bus that goes from B.A. to Santigo. Do you know of any companies, the rates, and times? Thank you!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train buenos aires - santigo

There is no train service. To go by bus it is necessary to take a bus from Santiago0 to Mendoza in Argentina and then a different bus to Buenos Aires. The fares are very cheap and buses reliable in both countries. Mendoza to Buenos Aires is an overnight trip. Santiago to Mendoza came be quite tricky in the winter as the pass is very high, over 12,000 feet, and it gets snowed in. I would suggest that it would be better to fly in winter although the road between Santiago and Mendoza is very spectacular.

Chile
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train buenos aires - santigo

I recomend you to flight because the tickets are not expensive and it is more comfortable

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: train buenos aires - santigo

There is no train.

It is not correct that you must change buses in Mendoza.

Only some argentinian companies require to change buses in Mendoza. TAC and Cata have direct service Santiago - Buenos Aires, but if you take another bus from them, probably they will sell you a ticket with transfer in the terminal of Mendoza.

The chilean companies (the best service) do the service direct without changing buses in Mendoza; the normally stops in Uspallata (1 hour from the border, in the argentinian side) for a wonderful meal. In the trip back from Buenos Aires the food is bad.

Of course you can travel confortably by plane in less than two ours, but croos the Andes it is a fantastic experience, and the bsues are safe and confortable

London, Uk
Level Contributor
78 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train buenos aires - santigo

Dear Wiillie11 - which bus companies would you recommend for Santiago to Mendoza? The idea of a really good meal also sounds good. Should we be prepared to hand out a few $ at the border to ease things through, or is it all straight? Thanks...

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: train buenos aires - santigo

I forgot that the first post asked for tips from Buenos Aires to Santiago. In that case should go to Retiro Bus Terminal (bus 132 leaves inside the huge terminal) and ask to Ahumada, Pullman del Sur, TAC and Cata (so so); all of them, not everyday, have direct service to Santiago, and TAC and Cata also service changing buses in Mendoza. They leave 3PM-5PM and arrives to Santiago 10-11AM next day. They stop for food (included in the price) on the road near Laboulaye, but it is bad in all lines.

From Santiago to Mendoza there is a lot of companies leaving, I would suggest Turbus as a good line, but better go to the terminal in Santiago (Metro line 1 Universidad de Santiago) and look for the buses before they leave (normally 07.00, 08.00-15.00), trip takes 7 hours ($11 in winter, double dec.-early march). If you go to Mendoza not meals at all are served on board neither at a stop.

What you want to mean with the phrase "hand out" ?. Are you asking for coimas and brives ? Many times works in the argentinian side of you are taking a few things to sell, but in Chile never never try to do that.

When you leave for Argentina, in the border (Argentinian side, integrated migration control) there is only a small kiosk that sells sandwiches. But I would suggest you, do not eat and drink anything taken on board from you, except a bit of water in summer; the curves on the road and the altitude of the mountains can produce odd results if you eat in that part of the road.

Dear Wiillie11 - which bus companies would you recommend for Santiago to Mendoza? The idea of a really good meal also sounds good. Should we be prepared to hand out a few $ at the border to ease things through, or is it all straight? Thanks...

Reply to this post

san diego
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: train buenos aires - santigo

Yes, but can you train B.A. to Mendoza and bus from Mendoza to Santiago?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train buenos aires - santigo

There are no train between Buenos Aires and Mendoza either.

Get answers to your questions about Santiago