We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood Mercado

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood Mercado

I've been told Americans should not eat the seafood in the Mercado Central for fear of getting sick. Is this true?

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood Mercado

Don't believe all you are told. None of my family have ever been ill after eating there.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,274 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood Mercado

The Mercado Central is now basically fish restaurants and some stalls selling fish and seafood. It is no longer the main market, which is across the river, La Vega, or (for fish) the Terminal Pesquero. But I occasionally buy fish there if I am in town.

Inside the Mercado Central there used to be an area with several restaurants offering meals, but now that has been taken over by just two restaurants. I think this has made it lose some of it's charm. There are still a couple of small restaurants facing the street.

Many tourists like Donde Augusto, one of the two large restaurants. One of the small ones, Doña Camila, has the kitchen on view (about the size of my kitchen) and you see the produce arrive to be prepared. I always think that lack of storage place is a good thing in a fish restaurant.

Prices are not cheap but the food is fresh. You will certainly see lots of locals eating there. The fish and seafood is usually very fresh and I don't know anyone who has been sick after eating there. In general, the standard of hygiene in Chilean restaurants is high.

3. Re: Seafood Mercado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, August 31, 2009