We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
18 helpful votes
Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

I'd like to take a day trip to Isla Negra from Santiago and have found some older information with regards to buses, etc. For those who have gone, what would you recommend as the best way to visit Isla Negra for the day, by way of Santiago?

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

When is your traveling date to advise on how crowded transport and the destination will be?

There are van tours like Turistour from Santiago (easy and recommended).

Or if you are comfortable with it, you can take the bus on your own but it seems Isla Negra is not an official stop for the coastal buses. I'm pretty sure it is an actual stop for some of the El Tabo buses and some of the El Quisco and Algarrobo destination buses but your level of Spanish better be up to par to find out this info and communicate with the bus people. Or you can get off at the official stops of El Quisco or El Tabo and then take a colectivo (shared fixed route taxi) or micro (small public type bus) to Isla Negra. To get back, in the worst case scenario, take a colectivo or micro to San Antonio's Barrancas bus terminal and take a Tur-Bus or Pullman bus back to Santiago.

Edited: 1:33 am, June 27, 2018
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

I will be there this week. Bearing in mind my beginner Spanish, I think a van tour would be the best option for me. I'll look into Tourister, too - any others you'd recommend? Thank you for your feedback and prompt assistance!

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

This weekend will be a long holiday weekend (June 29 - July 2) with Monday being the holiday. Pablo Neruda's house and museum will be closed on Monday (as many museums in Chile even if not a holiday) and there will be more crowds than usual from Santiago in the coastal towns.

Your hotel will have info on the tours.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
4. Re: Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

I looked into it, and the Pullman bus stops at El Tabo, and from there it's a short walk to the museum.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

From the Terminal de Buses El Tabo to Pablo Neruda's house is more then 2 kilometros.

Puerto Montt, Los...
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
6. Re: Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

to go to Isla Negra is very easy, take any Pullman or TurBus going to El Quisco or El Tabo, tell the driver to stop in Isla Negra and get off there

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?

Final clarification.

I just analyzed bus routes and it seems virtually all Santiago-Algarrobo and Santiago-El Quisco buses go via Casablanca meaning they will not pass by Isla Negra.

Santiago-El Tabo buses are mixed, some go via Casablanca others via El Sol (Ruta 78). If you get on the one doing the Casablance route, you will pass by Isla Negra. If you get on one doing Ruta 78, it will not go further than bus Terminal El Tabo which is more than 2 km south of Isla Negra.

Edited: 5:14 pm, September 14, 2018
Reply to: Best way to visit Isla Negra from Santiago?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted