We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget car rental - Mendoza drive - Category I

Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Budget car rental - Mendoza drive - Category I

Hi,

I had a budget car rental for a week and I was planning to drive from Santiago to Mendoza. Budget came back this morning and said your reservation category is I and you cannot drive. I did not even know about these categories as I booked thru Expedia.

What are alternatives that I can use? So upset at these Budget folks as I have been talking to them for 10 days and they came back after 10 days to tell me this.

I have never heard of Econorent but saw it mention. Europcar? Others?

5 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,415 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget car rental - Mendoza drive - Category I

What does category one mean? Do other companies have these categories?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
466 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget car rental - Mendoza drive - Category I

Be careful with Budget. There are pages and pages of complaints in this website about Budget.

Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget car rental - Mendoza drive - Category I

I sent mail to econocar and they seem very helpful. Of course price went up but not by much.

Are heir cars reliable?

We plan from Santiago to Mendoza

Munich
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget car rental - Mendoza drive - Category I

Prradeep, you have to inform the rental car company in advance that you will cross the border. Did you do this with Budget?

And you have to tell this to Ecoocar also in advance. They have to do some paperwork for you.

It also will not be possible to give the car back in Mendoza. You have to bring it back to Santiago. Otherwise it would be very very expensive.

Beate

Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget car rental - Mendoza drive - Category I

Thanks. I did talk to econocar. Budget I did via Expedia. So may be that was the reason but first they told me all is well @ Budget 3 weeks ago. When I sent the dirver license etc they came back and said not possible

Reply to: Budget car rental - Mendoza drive - Category I
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted