We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

Hi all,

We arrived in Santiago yesterday evening and when we tried to buy a SIM card at the airport we were told that we needed to pre-register our mobile phones first which you can't do on the spot. Looks like a recent thing.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does the process take long? Can I have it done at any shop or even better can it be done online?

Any help is welcome. We are leaving to Easter Island in 2 days so where hoping to get it done asap.

Cheers,

Selda

52 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

Sorry about that. It is a very stupid law which is trying to solve one problem and creating three others. Try this:

multibanda.cl/soy-extranjero-foreigner/

The only alternative is to buy a cheap local phone.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

Thanks for the reply dancingmolly. We ended up going to some sort of telecommunication office building. They provided us the instructions on the phone/IMEI registration which is done online. It can take up to 48hrs.

I registered my husband's IMEI five minutes after mine (screenshots/pics of registration number, IMEI, passport and entry stamp) and we both got an email notification about their operating hours (we emailed just after they closed). My husband received a response that same evening though advising that his IMEI was added to the national White list. I am yet to receive an email.

Husband bought his SIM card today and it works. I bought a SIM as well just to try, got a phone number but no service. So there you go. It can go quick or take 48 hours (hopefully not longer).

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

I hope yours is up tomorrow and you can use your phone. Was the online url the one I posted or another? Could you post the one you used? It will help others get this done quickly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

I am still waiting for my IMEI white listing confirmation. I am on Easter Island which has spotty wifi so mobile data would have been great. I just sent them a follow up email and hopefully I will get a positive response soon.

We went through a link on the Movistar.cl website through a laptop (can't do it via smart phone, and we didn't try on our i-Pad so not sure if tablets would work). At the bottom of the web page we needed to click on solicitud certificación administrativa. You need to provide your phone's IMEI (by dialling *#06# and make sure you take a screenshot. Provide make and model of your phone and a RUT number. As we don't have a RUT we had to enter 111111111. You will get a receipt number and the email address to send through relevant documents (screenshot of the IMEI, a copy of our passport and entry stamp) and include the receipt number.

Cheers,

Selda

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

Thanks for the info. Only Entel works on Easter Island. Hope it gets sorted soon.

san francisco
Level Contributor
49 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

hi,

I will land at SCL and staying one night before heading to Easter Island. I was hoping to get a SIM card at the airport when I'm in SCL. Can I pre register in the US before arriving SCL? Thanks for your help.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

Give it a try on the linked website. Remember it has to be Entel for Easter island. Coverage is not good on EI anyway.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

This thread really helped! Thanks everyone, especially dancingmolly, for your contributions. What a silly law. I tried buying a SIM card today since I'll be in Chile for several weeks, some of that time on Easter Island.

Question: if I register using the link on the Movistar website that was given, can I use another company's SIM card too? I am not sure whether registration is by device or needs to match the provider as well. Prefer to use Entel (Easter Island) but they don't seem to have such a nifty online form on their website...

Thanks for your help.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

Good question but I have no idea. I would think it possible as what they want is the phone's IMEI number and that does not change.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase

Here's an update: I sent an email with all of the required information to Movistar (as per the above URL), but never heard back from them, not even after I sent another followup email the following day. Shocking! So I ended up emailing various companies on this list: http://multibanda.cl/empresas-certificadoras/

Fortunately, one of them (Dymeq) responded very quickly and was able to complete the registration process for me. I now have a working Entel SIM card!

Reply to: Mobile phone registration for local sim purchase
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago