We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

Shreve, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

We have had a very disappointing experience with this agency. We paid $560 for 2 passages from Puerto Varas to Bariloche, and received vouchers for Oct 19, leaving from our hotel at 8:30 am. Just to be safe, I emailed the travel agent, VisitChile.com, Mariana Ramires, the day prior to confirm the date and time. She confirmed these details were correct. However, when it became clear that we would not be retrieved at our hotel for the trip, we started emailing and calling VisitChile.com to find out what had happened. So far they have not answered the emails; their phones have been disconnected or are otherwise nonfunctioning both in Chile and in the U.S. Since we also had to prepay our hotel in Bariloche, we've lost another $125 for the first night there, too. As soon as I return to the U.S., I plan to report VisitChile.com to the dept. of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Bureau. I believe TripAdvisor should tell the site to remove their endorsement, otherwise, it seems like TripAdvisor accepts their irresponsible behavior.

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
473 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

you should also contact Turismo Chile, let them know as well.

Shreve, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

Update:

VisitChile.com finally contacted me after the trip to say that the confusion was not their fault, that it was the fault of the local provider, Turistur. Previously, Turistur had blamed VisitChile.com. Well, Turistur reimbursed us the cost of our extra night in Puerto Varas. The whole experience, though inconvenient and annoying, has been resolved.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

So visitchile.com does not have a presence in Chile, or just Puerto Varas? I always recommend booking as close to local as you can so these ping pong reactions between companies don't leave you in the middle.

The lakes crossing can be booked directly with the company which runs it at http://www.cruceandino.com.

I am glad you finally got some resolution to your bad experience.

Don Pedro Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

We had an excellent experience with visitchile.com and a TERRIBLE one with www.cruceandino.com. I emailed cruceandino to inquire about reservations on October 29, 2013 and received an email back saying that someone would be getting back to me. I completed the reservation form and sent it in. Still no reply. I sent them another email and posted something on their Facebook page hoping for a reply. Still nothing. Then I sent an email to www.visitchile.com and got an immediate response from Mariana Ramires. We booked our tickets and reserved our hotels. I checked with our hotel in Puerto Varas and was told that they get an email from the company the afternoon prior to departure with verification of the reservation and pick-up times. The email came as promised. Our name was on it and we were picked up promptly the next day. The trip was fabulous and I would use visitchile again.

Laguna Niguel, Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

We also had a problem with VisitChile. They are impossible to reach by phone and do not consider anything to be their problem. I am sorry I booked the Lake Crossing through them. It cost us a day of travel although the tour company that actually operated the tour were very good and are not to be confused with VisitChile.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

I thank you for your review. I thought to use the services of this company, but if you are not satisfied, it is difficult to be with me and be all right. I will look for another company ;)

7. Re: Visitchile.com: terrible experience!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 27, 2014