We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

Janesville...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

We do not want to take a car into Argentina, but instead want to take Cruce Andino from Puerto Varas to Bariloche. I'd rather not take the same boat trip back to Puerto Varas, and thought that maybe we could just take a bus (or hopefully have another "adventure" on our return to Chile). Does any body know what our options are?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

There are bus lines which go between Bariloche and Chile. It costs about US$25 pp. You can get off in Osorno, Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt. Depending on how long border control takes, it should be about 5 hrs to puerto Varas from Bariloche. There are also buses to Valdivia from Bariloche. The scenery is nice on both routes. There are a few border crossings in that general area which were used as alternatives when the road was closed due to ash fall. So you have options.

If you have a bit of time in hand and are considering going to San Martin de los Andes, Buses Lafit does a crossing at Hua Hum, including a short ferry ride, and ending at Panguipulli in Chile. There is also a daily bus from San Martin to Pucón but it gets booked up quickly in summer.

Edited: 9:31 am, November 02, 2011
Janesville...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

Thank you, Dancing....

If we are going in March, 2012, do you think that we will have an issue with ash fall still? How long does it take this ash to dissipate?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

No one has any idea. There could be new ash before then or not. It isn't something which can be predicted with any accuracy long term.

Idaho
Level Contributor
24 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

We took the lake crossing from Puerto Varas to Bariloche, and it is on the top of my list for the longest-lasting, most boring trip in my years of international travel. We are waterskiers and spend hours in a boat, but the repitition of green hills and lake water had me pining to swim to shore after 3 hours.

To confirm my diagnosis, I noted most people on this less-than-luxurious boat were reading, sleeping, or, for the less hardy, vomiting. This bus/boat/bus/boat/bus/boat extravaganza took over 12 hours. If the boats are not timed right when you are at the transfer point, you get to wait an hour or two for them.

If you wish to see the lake and mountains, take a day trip out of Puerto Varas, and/or get to Bariloche if the ash fall has quit, and take a 3 hours cruise on Lake Nahuel Huapi.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

Did you book ahead for the cruise or were you able to reserve closer to the date you travelled? Did you stay overnight in Peulla and can you recommend a hotel there?

Idaho
Level Contributor
24 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

We booked ahead. We stayed at the Cabanos de Lagos on the outbound and the Colonas del Sur on the return to Puerto Varas. Both have ample reviews on TripAdvisor. I am not familiar with Peulla.

We stayed at the Llao Llao when in Bariloche, which is very lovely. You'd best check the situation with ash falling from the volcano near Bariloche. We were there before the eruption began in early May.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

Peulla is where you stopped for lunch.

Idaho
Level Contributor
24 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

We were delayed at Puella because the boat connections were not on time. We ended up taking an hour hike to kill the time while we waited after lunch. The lunch was unremarkable, as was the hotel. I am not in a position to recommend any hotel, and certainly not an overnight stay. The whole experience was not one I would advise. It was a waste of time, 12 hours for heaven's sake, and one can easily take a 2-3 hour tour on a boat from either Puerto Varas or Bariloche, which I would advise if you want a boat/lake experience. The tour out of Bariloche would be preferrable.

Idaho
Level Contributor
24 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

FYI, it is Puella, instead of Peulla.

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Varas to Bariloche and Back Again

No, it is Peulla. Tripadvisor has misspelled it.

http://www.visitchile.cl/crucedelagos2.htm

http://www.chile-hotels.com/peulla.htm