We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

usa
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

Have any volcanoes nearby erupted recently?

I rememebr Puyehue erupted last June - anything after that?

Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

Do you want to go and see one, or are you worried about transport? Or something else?

usa
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

Yes, worried about transport if there has been any recent volcanic activity in that region

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

Some witty Chileans I met recently said, they didn;t affect Chile - the eruptions. All the ash blows over to Argentina, and disrupts them.

I think the Argentine government even tried to sue Chile for damage to the tourist trade at places like Bariloche, but it might have been a joke....

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

It was a joke.

Chile is a seismic country with any number of volcanoes which are active. You can see a thin column of smoke coming out of Villarica volcano when you are in Pucón. There hasn't been anything of note since Puyehue, which is still sending out ash but at a much less than last year. People not used to earthquakes and volcanoes erupting are nervous about the possibilities, but I would be terrified in a place with tornadoes!

usa
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

Thanks for the information! Which is the major tourist area which is still affected by Puyehue erupting? I see it is close to Osorno - hopefully not affecting anything in Puerto Varas area, right?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

No major tourist area in Chile is affected by any volcano. Very little ash fell in Chile even during the worst eruption of Puyehue. The winds move toward Argentina. Villa la Angostura and Bariloche were badly affected by ash fall and the Samoré pass between Chile and Argentina was closed for months. Although you can see some remnants of the ash near the pass, Bariloche is fully recovered.

7. Re: Any volcanoes nearby which have erupted recently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 12, 2013