We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt?

Campbell, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt?

We are taking the lake crossing from Bariloche. Which is the better place to spend a night or two, Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt? We had planned on Puerto Varas, but several people told us they'd been to Puerto Montt and loved it. Advice?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt?

My choice would be Puerta Varas. It is a delightful small town on the edge of the lake. It has more character that Puerta Montt.

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt?

Puerto Varas, no doubts at all.

Puerto Montt is the big city, comercial city, airports etc, traffic jams, etc etc...

Puerto Varas is the nice one, small, nice views.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Campbell, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt?

Thanks so much! You confirm what my guidebooks said, & I appreciate your help :)

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt?

I am from Chile and I strongly recommend Puerto Varas. As is said below, it is an adorable little town. Puerto Montt on the other hand is bigger, city-like, urban town that does not have the special and unique German attraction of Puerto Varas. Go to Puerto Varas!

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
5. Re: Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 16, 2012