We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary in September

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary in September

Hi, we would like some advice regarding our plans for the Lakes District this September 6 - 16.

This is our plan so far: Fly Santiago to Puerto Montt transfer to Puerto Varas. Does anyone know if Sky airline is OK or should we stick with LAN and their Airpass?

Stay 4 nights in Puerto Varas and do day trips i.e. Chiloe Island,

Petrohue Falls, Lago todos Los Santos, Frutillar either with a local tour company or local buses. Not sure if we are confident enough to hire a car.

Full day lakes crossing to Bariloche, is it cheaper to go by bus half way and then on the lakes if we have done the Lago todos Los Santos cruise already.

2 nights in Bariloche, Any suggestions for our day in Bariloche or should we stay longer?

Bus to Villa la Angostura and San Martin de Los Andes, stay the night then cross back into Chile and stay a couple of nights in Pucon.

Transfer to Temuco to fly back to Santiago.

Would we need to pre-book the lakes crossing or buses at this time of year and also do they run everyday or are we better to book a tour that covers all this area and so would be more organised?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary in September

SKY is fine. The airpass is more for multiple flights and not much use if you are just taking 2.

You can't go halfway on the Cruce Andino bus/boat crossing. You either take them or go by bus. (various bus companies) If you are doing a day trip to Peulla from Puerto Varas and another lake trip on Nahuel Huapi from Bariloche, you have it pretty much covered.

If you are crossing the Mamuil Malal pass from San Martin to Pucón, there is usually one bus a day at that time of year which leaves very early. See if Igi Llaima has an office in the bus station in Bariloche to get the tickets beforehand. It is either them or bus San Martin, alternate days and maybe not on Sunday. But it could be that some companies act as agents so ask around, perhaps Albus. I know Igi Llaima has an office in the bus station in Puerto Montt but probably not in Puerto Varas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary in September

Thanks dancingmolly, just a couple more questions.

I read that the lakes crossing by boat is about 12 hours. How long does it take by bus?

Is there enough to see on Chiloe Island to stay the night or does a day trip give you enough of a look around?

Do we have to pay the reciprical visa fee when we enter into Argentina and also when we return into Chile. We are from Australia, so we would have paid in Santiago when we first arrive at the beginning of August?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary in September

The time on the bus depends on delays at customs but about 5 hours by bus. Sometimes you whizz through and sometimes there are delays. You still see volcanic ash about around Villa la Angostura and on parts of the road.

If you do a search on here, someone did a very detailed description of the lake crossing. I think it was in the Argentina forum.

I think you need at least a couple of days on Chiloe to get any feel for it. A day trip won't let you see much. I would also decide when you are there and have a look at the weather. It rains a lot on Chiloe.

You don't pay the reciprocity fee at land borders entering Argentina or Chile, only flying into the capitals on an international flight. As far as I remember, Australians get multiple entries on it for Chile within a 90 day period. Anyway, no problem going in and out at land borders.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary in September

Thanks again for that info especially about the visas at the border crossings.

Having a re-think about our itinerary.

3 days in Puerto Varas

Full day lake crossing to Bariloche - is it worth staying in Peulla? from what I have read there doesn't seeem to be much there. In September do we need to book the full lakes crossing before we arrive in Puerto Varas or once we are there is soon enough?

Stay 2-3 days Bariloche then bus back to Puerto Varas (I assume the bus goes via Villa la Angostura?)

1 night on Chiloe Island.

Is it better scenery going back to Puerto Varas via San Martin de Los Andes?

Edited: 10:10 pm, June 21, 2012
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary in September

That sounds good. Decide on Chiloe when you see what the weather is like and maybe take some sort of a tour from PV if it exists. Public transport is not great on Chiloe and the best scenery is out of the larger towns.

The scenery on both buses, SMartin to Pucón and Bariloche to Osorno/PV/Puerto Montt is very nice. The first route is not all paved on the Chilean side but I think it is not an issue. You pass right by Lanin volcano at the border. But it puts you in Pucón and not PV. I seem to remember the bus from Pucón to PV taking about 6 hours.

There are day trips to Peulla which you can take. If doing the full day crossing to Bariloche it isn't necessary to spend a night but it is a very long day. There are activities in Peulla but fairly pricey.

This is the post I mentioned (in the opposite direction):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312848-i5848-k407…

6. Re: Itinerary in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, June 23, 2012
Edited: 5:35 pm, June 23, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary in September

thanks dancingmolly, do we need to book the full day lakes crossing before we arrive in Puerto Varas or book it as soon as we arrive?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary in September

I don't really know, but I imagine you could book when you are there.

Panamà,Republic of...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary in September

Hi dancingmolly,

I will travel to Chile in the first week of september...On September 6 I will arrived to Santiago.....I would like to know if at that time would be posible to see the snow? I have never seen it before,and I would like to know if it will be posible on September.....

10. Re: Itinerary in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:46 pm, July 09, 2013