We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

touring the lake district of Chile and Argentina in Jan

Western North...
4 posts
Save Topic
touring the lake district of Chile and Argentina in Jan

We will be traveling in mid Jan from Bariloche to the Chilean Lake District. Would like suggestions for a possible itinerary in the area for a 6 day trip.

Perth
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: touring the lake district of Chile and Argentina in Jan

6 days isn't very long to see such a vast area, however if you're selective it can be done. Bariloche is really beautiful and it's worth spending a couple of days there. Recommended: take a cable car at Cerro Otto or Cerro Companaro (sp?) to see the views, and a half-day boat cruise on the lakes. From Bariloche take a bus across the Andes to Puerto Varas (around 6 hours), which is a very attractive German-influenced lakeside town, with views to the nearby volcano (recommended accomodation: Casa Azul). Valdivia is a few hours further north but in my opinion not as appealing. The hot thermal springs in Pucon are fabulous (recommended: Geometrical Hot Springs) but its another few hours north again. If you do get that far north, nearby Villarrica is a much better choice to stay (recommended accomodation: Parque Natural Dos Rios or Hosteria de la Colina). It all depends on the time you have and what you want to do in the region.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: touring the lake district of Chile and Argentina in Jan

Depends somewhat one your interests there are many possibilities for trekking, climbing, horseback riding, sailing, golf etc as well as the great thermal spas. I would try to make Valdivia and the Calle Calle estuary - it is not just north but on the Pacific - great seafood.

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: touring the lake district of Chile and Argentina in Jan

I would suggest Valdivia as well.

I like it beacuse it is a "real" city and not only a "tourist" city.

As Toid says, great seafood, nice landscapes good night life (bars and restaurants).

I would hardly recommend a navigation including the spanish fortress aand a visit to the Oncol Park where you will get in touch with the amazing green valdivian forest. There you can do some nice trekkings, canopy and birdwatching. But the most interesting of this park is that after a short trekking (45 min) you will reach the summit of the Oncol Hill, the highest of the area from where you can see the Pacific Ocean to one side and more than 13 volcanoes to the other, including some far away ones as the Llaima, or Villarrica or the Osorno or Calbuco. For more info visit http://www.parqueoncol.cl/

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: touring the lake district of Chile and Argentina in Jan

I haven't been to Valdivia in years. It has recently become popular with young Chilean families who want to get out of Santiago. Maybe it is time to return for another look. Any hotels you can recommend, Gazpachon?

5. Re: touring the lake district of Chile and Argentina in Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 25, 2009