We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do and getting around the Lake District

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Things to do and getting around the Lake District

Hi there,

Just been reading alot on the Lake District area, sounds amazing and would really like to go. We will be coming over from Bariloche in Argentina still undecided if by bus or the lake crossing trip. The lake crossing seems pricey and given we are travelling for a while are on a bit of a budget.

Any tips of affordable lake crossing providers leaving from Bariloche?

Also everyone on the Chilean side seems to be hiring and cruising around in cars..... is it just as easy to bus to places or will it be easier renting a car? Can I rent one rom Puerto Varas? And do I need an international Drivers Licence or any specific documentation?

Please can I get some advice on things to do around the Lake District to get the most from the place....this based on not having a car?

How long do you recommend spending in the area?

Oh and one last thing, I'll be heading North from Puerto Varas. So any recommendations on things to do on my way up to San Pedro would be amazing :)

Thank you so much,

Tanya

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Things to do and getting around the Lake District

There are frequent buses between everywhere in the Lake District. You do not have to drive. There are lots of possible places to stay. If you are coming from Bariloche, I would suggest Puerto Vara which will allow you to visit Chiloe as well.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
393 reviews
2. Re: Things to do and getting around the Lake District

There are also lots of hikes, some of the best hikes are multiday hikes and require camping. Good dayhikes accessible by punlic transport include Paso Desolacion in Petrohue, and Huerquehue NP near Pucon. Pucon is the best base, out of the very high season.

3. Re: Things to do and getting around the Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 24, 2016