We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chile and Argentina Trip October 2006

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chile and Argentina Trip October 2006

I am planning a two week vacation to Chile/Argentina and would be grateful for some advice/suggestions about our itineray:

9/30 - arrive in Santiago. Spend the day/night in the city

10/1 - drive from Santiago to Pucon (stop at a winery or two/maybe stay over someplace along the way)

10/2 - 10/5 or 6 - Stay at Antumalal (or if someone could make another recommendation), volcano hike/snowboard down, any other suggested activities.

than either:

1. 10/6 - Head towards (any suggestions as the best/fastest way to get South?) Patagonia, Punta Arena and Ushuaia area - Glacier/Penguin sightseeing, any other suggestions?

10/6 - 10/9 - drive around this area, depart from Ushuaia/El Calafate and head up to Buenos Aires

or

2. Cross the boarder from Chile to Argentina at the Lake District and Drive to Buenos Aires or city that we could catch a flight to BA.

Questions:

1. Is this itinerary insanely ambitious?

2. Is it possible to rent a car in Chile and Return it in Argentina?

3. Any suggestions on what to see/do for two weeks? - We would like to spend most of our city-time in BA and outdoor activities in Chile.

4. Any snowboarding areas in either Chile/Argentina that you would suggest visiting this time of year.

Thanks so much!

Nanbre

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chile and Argentina Trip October 2006

Are you talking about driving from Santiago, down to Patagonia and then to Buenos Aires? If so, I believe you will driving all the time. That is thousands of miles.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chile and Argentina Trip October 2006

We are considering driving to Pucon from Santiago and either:

(1) fly to Patagonia from the Lake District (if we can figure out a way to do this that is not outragously expensive); or

(2) cross the boarder when we are in the Lake District to Argentina via car or plane and head over to BA.

We would like to see both the Lake District and Patagonia but we may not have enough time to do both and go to BA for at least three days.

But, I did find a forum on LAN multi-city flights that may be helpful (and less expensive than flying one-way). However, we might find ourselves in the airport more than touring around.

And, I'm not sure if we can pick-up a car in one country and return it in another.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Nanbre

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chile and Argentina Trip October 2006

1. you can't drop a car in argentina

2. taking a car to argentina costs alot of extra $cratch

3. Dropping cars in puerto montt is ex$pensive.. I'm trying to rent a car for a week.. picking up in Santiago and dropping in PM and the best rate I've found is like $650!!! for a tiny little toyota!

4. Buenos Aires is not the best thing about argentina...

Cordoba

Mendoza

Bariloche

etc etc etc...

Argentina seems alot cheaper to me then Chile..

an overnight in MOntevideo is nice.. but better in the summer.. sounds like you are going in Winter - ie Snowboarding

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chile and Argentina Trip October 2006

You want to cover a lot of territory. What about extending your Santiago stay for an extra day and visiting the vineyards nearby rather than on a drive south.

Personally I would head for Patagonia and not try to include the lakes in such a short time. Work out the trip flying to Punta Arenas and visiting Torres del Paine. From there, cross over to Argentina and visit Patagonia on that side. Both sides beautiful, both sides different. Then fly north to BA.

You could have a look at snow conditions in Valle Nevado outside Santiago but the season will probably have ended by then. It would add another day in Santiago.

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chile and Argentina Trip October 2006

Thanks for your replies - SF.Pelkey and Dancingmolly.

I assumed the car rental might be expensive but not that high - those are NYC prices!

The main attraction in the Lake District is Centro Esquí Villarrica - there is a trip that involves hiking up a volcano and then snowboarding down - which seems like a once in a lifetime experience. Has anyone tried it? Worth the trip?

DM, I like your suggestion - visit both sides of Patagonia and then we can fly to BA from there.

I guess we could check the weather/conditions of Centro Esquí Villarrica when we arrive and then make a last minute decision. We will be there in October, which does not seem to be a busy time of year - correct?

Thanks again,

Nanbre

6. Re: Chile and Argentina Trip October 2006

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 21, 2009