We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navimag vs. Australis

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Navimag vs. Australis

So, I know these are two completely different "cruise" experiences, so I have a general idea what life on board might be like, one vs. the other.

My question is more about whether it would be worth doing both these things - if the experience of the two is so different. I know they cover different terrain. Are the views from one vs. the other so much better, that all other things aside - it might be better to do the Navimag than the Australis, or vice versa, just because one has so much more awesome scenery. The price is certainly completely different.

Perhaps it is impossible to compare? I am trying to fit both of these in to my trip, but the time frame just seems to not want to allow it. I know I would be more comfortable on an Australis vessel. But what would I be forsaking? Anything?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navimag vs. Australis

It is impossible to compare. The Navimag is a cargo ship and the Australis is a cruise ship. If you can afford the Australis and can find a booking, that would be the better experience.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navimag vs. Australis

One is about USD300, the other at least USD1000, the last I checked. They go different ways, so depends on your location, your destination and preference. While Navimag is no luxury cruise they feed u well and the cabin is pretty comfortable with heater and hot shower, similar to what u find in cruises. But common facilities are limited except for the video in the dining area. So u either watched movie with a cup of tea or coffee or look out at the channels or sea. Or read a book, download photos, etc. There is no Wi-Fi..

Dampier, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navimag vs. Australis

can you have a beer or two on Navi? are the cabins single or shared. Thanks.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navimag vs. Australis

I understand from the Navimag site that while perhaps the beer is not an issue, the cabins may all be quads.

If you check the thread on my other question on the Chile forum - (3 1/2 weeks in Chile, any thoughts?) there is a poster who was on this vessel fairly recently. He might have all the answers to your questions.

5. Re: Navimag vs. Australis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 22, 2014