We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

Corvallis, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

Travel by ferry in Chilean fjords from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt used to be by NaviMag ferry. In June 2013 they announced they will no longer carry passengers. Are there alternatives for marine transport to see Chilean fjords? In my case, travel will be in Feb 2014.

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

Navimag will put a new ferry at December 2013, be patient and ckeck some months ahead the website navimag.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

Navimag still running ferry from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt and vice versa once a week, using Amadeo I ship. We just took one now in Puerto Montt. It is a cargo ship but they do take in paying passengers at USD 315 each all inclusive. Boarding at Puerto Montt is on Monday night, they sail on Tuesday afternoon, arriving Friday morning. U will have to buy tickets on the day itself at Navimag office at the port. Food is really good and the cabin is comfortable, similar to those u find cruise ships.

Corvallis, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

Thanks for the update. It sounds like a new ferry may be coming, but no announcements yet. NaviMag only had a schedule through November for the interim cargo ferry last time I checked with NaviMag via email.

Lowestoft, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

This is encouraging, I'm just planning my trip for Feb/March & had really hoped to take this ferry

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

<<Boarding at Puerto Montt is on Monday night>>... typo error.. I meant to say.. boarding at Puerto Natales (not Puerto Montt) is on Monday night...

btw, boarding at Puerto Montt¨is Friday noon and they sail in the same afternoon at 4pm.

Lowestoft, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

Just had a look at the Navimag site - it now says that passenger services have restarted.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

Yes they are. We are booked in for Tuesday 19 November

Somewhere in, WV
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

We contacted Navimag by e mail in late November 2013. Nataly Hernadez's first message said to check back on the website on or after December 15, 2013. Then she sent another e mail a few days later asking me for my passport, etc. information for a booking on January 15, 2014. I take that to mean they are starting back up. It may be too late for many people, as it is for me, but hopefully it will help someone in the future. I found this forum to be very useful, as I could not figure out what was really going on with Navimag anywhere else. Thanks to all who posted!

e h
Oakland, California
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

i contacted navimag for a march2014 reservation. first i was told to wait until dec. 15. today a new email tells me to wait until february because they dont know their routes yet. that's cutting it a bit close for such a trip. i hope it happens. it is a big part of my trip.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NaviMag ferries not taking passengers. Any alternatives?

Make some alternative plans in case ferry is not running. When we were in Puerto Natales we weren't sure if the ferry is running. We knew the regular ferry is not running (even the local tourist office did not know much). So we made plan B that is to fly out from Punta Arenas (checked Sky Airline which has pretty good rates compared to LAN), or Plan C that is to cross back into El Calafate (we came via El Calafate so this option didn't look favourable). Navimag office was closed when we were there Friday due to public holiday and remain closed during the weekends. Fortunately all back to normal on Monday and we managed to get tickets out of Puerto Natales via cargo ferry. Well they need to move horses and cattles and stuffs from south to north and vice versa so there must be a ferry running. The journey along the channels was amazing. U can also consider Patagonia cruises from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia but that is super expensive.