We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Trip to Chile

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning a Trip to Chile

Hi, everyone i'm new here. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip out to Santiago, Chile. I wish to visit a friend out there. Now this would be my first trip out to south america so I really don't know what I might need. I'm from Southern California, what would be the best airline to buy my tickets from? What type of paper work might I need to visit Chile? Honestly any help would be appreciated because I am completely lost.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

Have a look at LAN, the Chilean airline. They have flights out of Los Angeles to Santiago. If you have a US passport you will have to pay a US$160 reciprocity fee, good for the life of your passport, as that is what Chileans pay to apply for a visa to the USA. It might disappear next year but, unfortunately, is still in place. That's it really. You don't need any special shots or vaccinations for Chile. Any idea when you might be coming?

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

Thanks for the help. I'll check them out. I'm not too sure I was thinking maybe around January if not until April, around spring break.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

You have plenty of time to plan then!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

You pay the reciprocity fee on arrival in the airport before going through passport control.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

LAN 601 is a one-stop (Lima) direct flight LAX-SCL. It will most likely be on the new 787.

Only choose LAN 600 for the return flight SCL-LAX so you will not have to change planes.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

thank you so much for the replies. I'm looking into all the info you guys gave me. :)

Tartu, Estonia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

Hi! I am going there in December, also to visit friends and I'm looking for travelling buddies. Maybe if you intent to go earlier, we could meet there and have some cool adventure?;)

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

Hi Helena, I'm thinking to go as well in december. I would be interested in meeting up for some cool adventures. Send me a note if you're interested.

9. Re: Planning a Trip to Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 20, 2014