We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL?

Hello, where would people recommend to live and teach English in Central/South America? I will also be on a tourist visa till I hopefully obtain a work visa or move counrty. I don't have a degree, but I do have my tefl.

I would like somewhere with low cost of living, ok wage to live on and to travel about on. Also I would like to live somewhere on the coast with good weather all year around.

The countries that stand out are: Costa Rica, Mexico, Arentina, Chile and Equador.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sheryl

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tour Sewell
Sightseeing Tours
Colchagua Heights
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Patagonia Austral
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Eco Tours, Day Trips
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL?

Dodgy private English institutes are likely the only places that would hire you in Chile (most others require a university diploma). The pay is bad and the cost of living for a newbie foreigner is quite high.

Suerte.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL?

I would agree with the post above if you considered only living in Santiago, if you go for cities or towns which are further away, like Puerto Varas, Castro, Coihaique or others the cost of living is not that high and jobs offer depend more on the applicant and the hiring school than other factors. But of course I have never tried to do what you are trying to do.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL?

Any luck Sheryl? I'm in the same position as you x

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL?

Any luck Sheryl? I'm in the same position as you x

5. Re: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 14, 2014