We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 2013 Itinerary

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
March 2013 Itinerary

As part of a 5 week vacation can't decide between a Scorpios II Chilean glacier cruise or Stella Australia Argentina cruise they both sound great in the brochure's, I am mostly interested in seeing glaciers and beautiful scenery. Does anyone have any experience?

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 2013 Itinerary

Hi,

I'm not familier with these cruises, but I can recommend taking a tour parallel to the cruise, through the Carretera Austral by private jeeps. You would experience extreme nature, wildlife (Flamingos, Guanacos, Deers, Condors, Rabbits, Armadilos...) and lots of rushing rivers, waterfalls, fjords and lakes. You can also take a boat ride to the amazing Marble Caves in lake General Carrera, horse riding, fly fishing, the Enchanted Forest, hands cave aged 10,000 years ago. The views are really unique and changing all the time. Glaciars you can see on the way: Hanging glaciar, Exploradores, Yelcho, Jorge Montt, San Rafael, Steffen, Leones and more...

You'll also find very unique and interesting villages along the way, like Caleta Tortel which all of it is built on wooden walkways. Chaiten which some of it's houses are still covered with up to 1.5 meters of volcan ashes, from 2009 eruption of Volcan Chaiten... and many other special adventures you can enjoy on the way.

There are jeep tours to this area, combined with short (1-day) boat cruises. Prices are much much lower than cruises, and in my opinion much more entertaining and comfortable, as you don't wanna miss all the attractions on land, and you sleep in hotels or chilean host families.

Mentioned in this post
Carretera Austral
Carretera Austral
254 Reviews
Puerto Montt, Chile
San Rafael
San Rafael
Province of Mendoza, Argentina
santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: March 2013 Itinerary

depends of which Skorpios, they have two choices, one going to San Rafael, other visiting glaciers departing from Puerto Natales. Stella Australis is Chilean, not Argentine and they travel around the southernmost glaciers and Cape Horn. If you have the money I recommend Stella Australis, pluses: the brand to be in the southermost places in the world and to be in the famous and feared Cape Horn

second best the Skorpios departing from Puerto Natales

Mentioned in this post
San Rafael
San Rafael
Province of Mendoza, Argentina
Puerto Natales
Puerto Natales
Magallanes Region, Chile
Cape Horn
Cape Horn
179 Reviews
Hornos Island, Chile
3. Re: March 2013 Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:45 pm, July 09, 2013