We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chile in October

Vancouver
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chile in October

I am flying from Vancouver, BC to Santiago,Chile in October and speak little or no Spanish. I want to stay in Santiago for a few days, visit Val Paraiso and would like to know about travel from the airport to the hotel? (we are flying Air Canada not Lan Chile)

Can anyone suggest a good hotel that is inexpensive and easy to get around and see the sights from? We would also like to locate a travel agency that could book us some 3-4 days or even a week out trip. I'm not real fussed about flying, once I am there - trains or buses would suit me fine. We have abut 15 days there.

Thank you for any help you could give!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chile in October

The best way to get from the airport into the city is by taxi. Buy a ticket from the kiosk near the luggage belts. Don't wait until you have gone through customs.

A good hotel is the Hotel Orly in the Providencia district whci is handy to the subway (Metro) www.chile-travel.com/orly-hotel-santiago/

Carsons Wagons/Lits should be able to arrange out of Santiago trips. One I would recommend is the Tren del Vino which runs through various vineyards from the town of Curico to San Fernando. There are trains from Santiago to Curico. It is possible to stay overnight in San Fernando and come back the next day.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chile in October

If you like to plan and execute your own trip without the services of a tour agent, Chile has an excellet train system that runs from Santiago to the nearby metro areas as well as all points south. Last year when we were there, they were completing the run into Pto. Mont. It is run by Empressa de Ferrocariles del Estado (http://www.efe.cl/).

I have never used them, however. I have always used the numerous buses that traverse the country. In Chile, they have sleeper buses that run all night and are very affordable. My favorite company is TurBus. In addition, there are "micros" that will take you and your luggage just about everywhere. If you want to tour wine country, you can take a bus from the Airport to a central bus station in Santiago, and from there you can take another large bus to Curico where you can explore. My wife and I maintain a very nice home in Curico if you are interested in having a central point to tour from. I would not advice spending more than three days there, however, as it is not exactly tourist central.