We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to lake district

No. California
Level Contributor
148 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
driving to lake district

Five of us are thinking of renting a car in Santiago and driving to the lake district. It looks about the same distance as San Diego to San Francisco. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to get to Pucon?? or to Puerto Veras?? If you wanted to spend four or five days there would you stay in two different areas or use one as a center?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to lake district

This is handy for calculating driving times:

www.absolutchile.com/chile/driving_times.asp

I would split the stay between Pucon and Puerto Varas if I wanted to see both.

turistel.cl/v2/…lagos.htm

turistel.cl/v2/…lagos.htm

Staying in one or the other would allow you more time to explore that area. Each has plenty to see and do around it. With only 4-5 days that might be a better option.

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
europe
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to lake district

My post to another question about Lake District:

Try driving up to Pucon in 1 day and stay a few days there. Explore the surroundings, it is incredible around there. Visit Caburga, Ojos de Caburga, go to the termas to relax: fe Menetué.

Take a 4x4 to rent, so you can do much touring in the backland: like driving up the volcano. Drive from the volcano to Lican Ray then on to Coñaripe, pass lago Neltume and visit Salto Huilo Huilo, the drive is incredible: bring water and food as you cannot really buy along the way. The drive from Choshuenco to Panguipulli is great as well!

Another great area is around lake Llanquihue: drive around the lake and see Puerto Varas, Frutillar, Puerto Octay and drive up the Osorno. Another great salto: Petrohué and definitely see Lago todos los Santos: take a little boatride on the lake, the colors are soooo pretty!

Another tour: from Ensenada to Ralún and move on to Calete Puelche to take the ferry to Caleta la Arena. If you have more time, drive further south from Puelo.

Have great fun, it will be amazing!!

Sandra

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Lican Ray
Lican Ray
Araucania Region, Chile
Panguipulli
Panguipulli
Los Rios Region, Chile
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Frutillar
Frutillar
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Osorno
Osorno
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Lago Colbun
Lago Colbun
116 Reviews
Colbun, Chile
Rancagua, Chile
Level Contributor
186 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to lake district

The lake district is a very beautiful zone in the mid south of Chile

I would not recommend to drive there. It's about 1000kms down to Puerto Varas... good highways though.

I suggest you fly down to puerto montt, via LAN (chilean airline)

www.lan.com

(Cheap if you buy in advance. LAN is an Internacional and well recongnized airline).

About US100.- return trip (much less that the cost of car rent, gas, toll, etc.)

lan.com/promociones/…nvo_lan-es-cl.html

In puerto montt's airport you can rent a car to visit the whole area.

www.budget.cl

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Rancagua, Chile
Level Contributor
186 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to lake district

Sorry, one last thing

stay in two different areas

1.- puerto varas

2.- pucon

definitely.

No. California
Level Contributor
148 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to lake district

Thank you for your information. Flying sounds good, but when we go to the LAN website the round trip fare for one person is US$476.00 including tax. Then we would have to rent a car which would be the same price as renting in Santiago. If five of us fly, the price would be $2380.00. That is certainly more that the gas we will use from Santiago. I would like to avoid the hassel of driving down, but ????? Anything I am missing? (Hope so)

We will definitely plan on splitting the time between Pucon and Puerto Varas--thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to lake district

Driving south is fine. The highway is excellent but has a fair amount of tolls. There are endless gas stations with decent restaurants attached, the bigger ones have showers as well. You can stop often for a break.

If you decide to stop on the way because you are tired, there are places to do that.

Cabins abound in Chile, the alternative to hotels for families. If you have a car it means you can stay almost anywhere you want. The road between Villarica and Pucon is one camping place or cabins the whole way and there are more out the other side of Pucon on the road to Argentina. There are lots in the Puerto Varas area as well, many on the road to Ensenada.

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
No. California
Level Contributor
148 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to lake district

Thanks, Dancing Molly. I guess after checking flying vs. driving we will probably stay to the original plan and drive. We are five adults--two couples and a single, so will not want the family cabins and are not campers. Probably looking for some more upscale accomodations--any recommendations in Pucon or around Puerto Varas would be great.

I have enjoyed reading your postings on trip advisor.

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to lake district

For Pucon, I think the two nicest hotels are the Hotel del Lago and the Hotel Huincalhue. Both are very central, not cheap but you feel you are getting what you pay for.

www.hoteldellago.cl

www.hotelhuincahue.com/

I haven't stayed in Puerto Varas for ages, so don't like to recommend anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Hotel del Lago
Hotel del Lago
14 Reviews
Pucon, Chile
Puerto Varas
Puerto Varas
Los Lagos Region, Chile
No. California
Level Contributor
148 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to lake district

Thanks a lot. anyone else have ideas about puerto varas area??

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving to lake district

My husband and I drove all the way from Santiago to Puerto Montt in a rented car and back in a week's time. In my opinion, the drive was the best part. To take a plane would have meant missing the scenery along the way. However, if I had it to do all over I would have driven as far as Villarica and concentrated my time there. (I have a thread somewhere about this you can find by doing a search.)

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Puerto Montt
Puerto Montt
Los Lagos Region, Chile