We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Air cancels Miami to Salvador and Recife routes

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
7,010 posts
2 reviews
American Air cancels Miami to Salvador and Recife routes

American Airlines has announed the following route cancellations effective May 3 or 4:

1. nonstops between Miami and Recife (route will resume only on December 15; it sounds like it will become seasonal);

2. nonstops between Miami and Salvador (no announcement on eventual resumption)

statement by American Airlines says that "market conditions" have made routes "not feasible".

[translation: economic crisis in Brazil has made demand for such flights so low that it does not make sense to keep them (airlines have been selling seats to USA at all-time low prices in Brazil just to fill up planes; obviously that could not last forever);

and, instead of having nonstops to "smaller" cities, airlines are shifting passengers to major travel hubs like GRU in São Paulo - in addition, they dont want to lose their landing slots at GRU, which would be much harder to get back than at REC, SSA or other airports]

there has been a steady stream of cancellations of international routes to Brazil by many airlines this year... only exceptions are some (likely temporary) increases in services to Rio for the Olympics period.

on a related note, (mostly domestic carrier) Gol announced it will reduce flights overall by 15%-18% in 2016 (for same reasons); its initial projections for 2016 called for "only" a 6% reduction.

Washington DC...
1 post
1. Re: American Air cancels Miami to Salvador and Recife routes

Dear American Airlines,

Re: Salvador, Brazil Cancellations

I have been a frequent American Airlines customer flying to Salvador, Brazil for almost 15 years. The convenience of being able to fly directly from Miami into Salvador on the late PM evening flight has made American Airline a significant favorite carrier. Salvador in Bahia State holds a special historical and cultural position to many of the Diaspora. I am extremely hopeful that AA returns the Salvador route back to it's seasonal schedule. .

Edited: 8:35 pm, December 12, 2016
New York City, New...
1 post
2. Re: American Air cancels Miami to Salvador and Recife routes

I have also been a frequent American Airlines customer flying to Salvador, Brazil for 10 years. I know so many people who are interested in visiting Salvador, or who have family there. I don't understand why AA eliminated such a good flight option to Salvador, Bahia from the U.S. Ther ex[planation they are giving doesn't make sense. Tons of people want to fly there.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
1 review
3. Re: American Air cancels Miami to Salvador and Recife routes

welcome,

unfortunately "greed overcomes all doubt". like one of the Star Trek movies..."the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many" isnt going to happen.

you will need to do as the rest of us peons and get there however you can.

Companies dont care about you, they say that since its a good thing to say. They are in it to make $$$.

good luck.

4. Re: American Air cancels Miami to Salvador and Recife routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 02, 2018