We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio, Igazu and Salvador - how many days in each?

VAncouver
Level Contributor
48 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rio, Igazu and Salvador - how many days in each?

My husband and I (in early 30s) are planning our first trip to Brazil in November and trying to decide where to go. We have about 8-10 days and not interested in the Amazon.. looks like Rio, Igazu and Salvador might be the best places to visit? Please let me know if you think otherwise.

This is our planned itinerary but looking for input or changes:

RIO 3-4 days (2/3 nights)

Igazu 1.5 days (2 nights)

Salvador 3/4 days( 3/4 nights)

Also i used to live in Niagara Falls - is Igazu pretty much the same?

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio, Igazu and Salvador - how many days in each?

Sounds about right. I would spend one more night in rio and one less in Salvador but that is up to you. I don't think there are direct flights from Iguacu to Salvador, so you probably will have to change planes in Rio or Sao Paulo.

Try to include a weekend in Rio de Janeiro if you want to go dancing in Lapa. The famous beaches in Rio are also nicer on sundays as the big roads right in front of them are closed to traffic. A weekend would also be good if you want to see a soccer match.

I think the brazilian national park at the iguacu falls opens later (1 p.m.) on mondays, not sure about that though. This would not affect you if you are staying at the Cataratas Hotel inside the park.

A tuesday night would be good in Salvador's Pelourinho district.

I have only been to Iguacu. Friends that have seen both falls were more impressed by Iguacu as it is bigger. Also the falls are not inside a city but in a junglek full of butterlies, monkeys, coatis and birds.

Edited: 6:13 am, April 30, 2011
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio, Igazu and Salvador - how many days in each?

The cataratas at Iguacu are much more impressive than Niagara. There is much more area of falls, not just the two like at Niagara. And the photo ops are great, maybe more impressive than Niagara. The way transportation usually works out, you can get the earliest flight in you can, have half a day on the Brazilian side to take photos, then a full day (start in Argentina witht he pathways over the falls, and also do a boat trip--if time, laze by the river in the shade) and a morning before you fly out as late as you can arrange that could be used to see the Bird Park.

Rio and Salvador, I would divide equally, with the extra day maybe in Salvador to take a side trip (interior, island, beaches to the north) or in Rio to do one from there (Petropolis) or see more sights. www.ipanema.comis a good resource to start you out for Rio, and www.bahia-online, for Salvador. The Tuesday bencao in Salvador is not such a big deal lately (funding cuts from the city), but do try to see as much music as you can.

3. Re: Rio, Igazu and Salvador - how many days in each?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, October 28, 2012