We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Patagonia in May?

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling to Patagonia in May?

Hi all!

I am a student studying in Argentina for the semester. I have a week vacation at the end of May and I wanted to travel to Ushuaia and El Calafate. Does anyone know if this is possible? I am looking on the cities' websites and I keep finding conflicting information. I was hoping to go to Ushuaia for 3 days, take a bus to El Calafate, and then flying back to Bs. As. out of El Calafate. If anyone knows what sites are open/closed, or if it is worth it to go, please let me know!

Muchas gracias!

Jamie

Kokkola, Finland
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Patagonia in May?

I had a week vacation and I went all the way from Cordoba down to Ushuaia and through Calafate in one week and the two weekends I had. And I hitchhiked! So, basically it was most of the time on the road, and would not have been possible for a guy with that small time as I heard takes so much more time for them ;) I did this cos I had a week vacation also and there were absolutely no more time and well, I came all the way from Europe so why not.

If u have no money issues and are able to use night busses, use only night busses and stop during the days. Consider flying to Ushuaia and fly back from Calafate as I'm sure it'll be the same price more or less and u'll save so much time!

So, I spend a day seeing penguins, a day in Ushuaia, two in Calafate, saw Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales in Chile... Tiring but totally worth it! And really, it was worth it to go all the way to Ushuaia even I only spend like 24 hours down there!! I saw nature, met people... Now I know where I want to visit again :D Well, it's more about the question if it's worth to spend the money to go there cos u have so little time, if u ask me. But I did it for free so that's why I'm sayingit was worth it. You can do a day hike and day trips down there at least... Check all the seasons of the animals you want to see. For example penguins are not around now, etc.

Hope helps :)

2. Re: Traveling to Patagonia in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 04, 2014