We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patagonia trip - El Calafate or Bariloche

Sunland, Ca
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Patagonia trip - El Calafate or Bariloche

My husband, brother and I will be spending 3-4 days in Patagonia in March. We will be sight seeing, no strenuous activities. We will probably rent a car and/or join a tour when we get there. I am having the hardest time trying to find flights to El Calafate. Would it be easier to go to Bariloche instead? However, my husband does want to see the glaciers in El Calafate. Also looking for a higher end hotel with a view.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patagonia trip - El Calafate or Bariloche

Freddifred,

You have two hours left till the end of LAN's Cyber Monday sale.

I'm finding plenty of availability left for flights from Buenos Aires (BUE) to El Calafate (FTE) in March.

This must be begginer's luck!

www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_personas/index.html

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Patagonia trip - El Calafate or Bariloche

Bariloche is a better region for self drives I think, but if your husband wants to see the glaciers there is not much of a choice left: it will be El Calafate. In the region you can do several day trips with good organized excursions. March is the end of the season for Calafate.

From Buenos Aires there are daily flights with Aerolineas Argentinas and/or LAN.

Enjoy Argentina!

Jan

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patagonia trip - El Calafate or Bariloche

Although the scenery around Bariloche is gorgeous, the glaciers in the Calafate area are breathtaking. I usually spend 3 nights in Calafate with arrival afternoon at Laguna Nimez Bird Sanctuary, a full day at Perito Moreno and a full day on the All Glaciers Boat trip.

Bariloche is a much larger town than El Calafate, so more hotels and restaurants, plus it's a shorter flight from AEP. But IMO Calafate is the better choice.

Sunland, Ca
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patagonia trip - El Calafate or Bariloche

Thanks so much for your reply. Any suggestions for hotels?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patagonia trip - El Calafate or Bariloche

Not sure which destination you've decided upon, but in Calafate I've stayed both at Hosteria Hainen (small, cozy, 10 minute walk to main st., extremely helpful mgmt. to assist in tour bookings) and Hotel Michelangelo (5 minute walk, excellent breakfast buffet, convenient to Laguna Nimez and Mi Rancho).

Can't recall the name of the Bariloche hotel - there are hundreds of choices there since it is a major tourist center.

6. Re: Patagonia trip - El Calafate or Bariloche

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 17, 2013