We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family going to Patagonia in Jan.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
20 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Family going to Patagonia in Jan.

I've been combing the archives for info but they are mostly incomplete or very old. We are US citz living in BA and want to travel with our kids 10 and 7 to Patagonia for about 2 weeks in Jan. I am looking for a few things: family friendly lodges and/or a tour/package group for a family. I usually do it all myself but the logistics are a bit overwhelming. We want to see Perito Moreno and Torres de Paine and end with a stay in Bariloche. I can handle the Bariloche part but the rest I'm not sure about. If you can recommend 2 good lodges that welcome kids it would be great. I looked at Helsingfors but maybe it is too quiet for kids? I'm also trying to figure out how to get from 1 place to the other. Thanks for all advice. (Even if you have a good travel agent I'll take that as well.)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family going to Patagonia in Jan.

Depends on your budget, but I stayed at Hotel las Torres in Torres del Paine and it was wonderful. They have a choice of daily trips - half day and full day - drive and different levels of treks. They also have horse riding. You can get 3 or 4 day packages also.

There are lots of tours to Perito Moreno from El Calafate. I'm Australian and I booked through Chimu Adventures - www.chimuadventures.com . They arranged all my transport and I went to all the places you mention - but again it depends on your budget.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family going to Patagonia in Jan.

Hola TravellingSuz!

It is great to know your family is coming to our country. I am sure children will really like it.

The Glacier is the kind of place that everyone enjoyes. I would probably suggest a nice Estancia in El Calafate, Helsingfords is amazing, but is on the way to El Chalten (so on the opposite direction from the Glacier). Probably for the glacier tour you want to stay somewhere more nearby.

There are also nice hotels with warm swimming pools, where childs can enjoy the afternoons.

Regarding Torres del Paine, it is a little harder since there are not so many nearby options. I think as Sandra said, Las Torres can be a good choice, since it is in the park and they have daily organized trips-.

I hope it helps...have a great vacation!

Veronica

Say Hueque Tours

3. Re: Family going to Patagonia in Jan.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 25, 2013