We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

I am spending 4-5 nights in and around Torres del Paine followed by four nights based near Bariloche. However I have three nights in between those two destinations and am unsure to where best to spend them without repeating either experience.

I was thinking perhaps El Calafate(perito moreno) which I believe is spectacular except we will have already just visited the Glacier(s) around T. del Paine?

So then I thought perhaps the Chilean Lake District, or is that going to be too similar an experience to the following four days when we visit the argentinean lake district?

Your suggestions on the better alternative or perhaps another option to fill those three days would be much appreciated.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

Exp

Maybe staying those extra days in Bariloche as a "base", visiting Villa La Angostura , San Martin de los Andes, Junin de los Andes or lodging in a close estancia for 1 night would be a nice choice.

Other options mentioned are good ones too.

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

Thanks Santi for your quick response. I'd like to visit the places you mentioned but wasn't sure whether the four days in Bari would be enough to cover that?

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

I should have mentioned that our accommodation at Bari is fully booked for those three days, otherwise we would have gone straight there.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

explorable

I guess no, 4 days are not enough for Bariloche and sorroundings .

But I am the type of traveller that enjoys that extra time in every spot I enjoy a lot.

Bariloche is one of those ones.

Have you tried booking directly in Bariloche ? Try using the green search bar for Bariloche.

Avrooster for example provided a email and belive a phone number for the BEST hotel in Bariloche area the LLAO LLAO.

Have you tried

interpatagonia.com

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

Again try including a Estancia overnight near Bariloche ...

Google estancias

Tipiliuke

Arroyo Verde

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

We're staying at the llao llao for those four nights. Really looking forward to it. Unfortunately there is a golf tournament in the days prior, which is why I can't get in earlier.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

You will LOVE llao llao ...kick out a golfer :)

Did you make it on Punta or La Barra ?

Good luck

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

I tried to kick out a golfer but they wouldn't hear of it. Maybe if I pretend I'm a golfer....

Sent an email last week to a relaxed low key looking place near Montoya beach called La Ballenera but its seems to be so relaxed, I've heard nada. So I'm now working on the earlier part of the trip.

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

http://www.tipiliuke.com/

This is one of the "horrible" estancias in the area , this case in Junin de los Andes.

I contacting the estancia, say Hi to Pedro de Larminat "alias" Peter Von BrackeL

from Santiago Bengolea

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: El Calafate or Chilean Lake District?

Tipiliuke looks like an interesting Estancia and very beautiful. How would you compare it with your experience of those close to Buenos Aires.

I couldn't find any indication of prices on their website.

One of the problems i'm having is figuring out how to get from place to place. We're used to independent travel usually driving ourselves and it seems that car rental doesn't allow for picking up in one country and then dropping off in another. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the info to date.