We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation and Car Safety

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation and Car Safety

Hello, I've written a couple of questions regarding SA in the last month as my husband is running 29,000 km around the world to be the 'Fastest Person to Circumnavigate The Globe On Foot' (www.tomsnextstep.com) We are from Sydney, Australia.

I am Tom's wife & his sole support crew. Just to briefly fill you in, to date Tom's nearly run 14,5000km - which includes NZ and the US and now we are in South America for the next leg of the journey. Tom runs 50km per day, 7 days a week.

Tom started the SA leg in Valparaiso, Chile and has run over The Andes. We are now in Mendoza. We hired a car in Chile, have returned it to Santiago, & last night picked up the next hire car for the journey from Mendoza to Buenos Aires.

Question 1: We require accommodation along the way as we stop every 50km. Can you tell me if there's much accommodation along this route. Google maps isn't picking much up and the GPS doesn't show all available accommodation. We have been lucky so far, but it would ease our minds to know that it wasn't going to be an issue.

Question 2: When we picked up the new hire car it's a very basic model. No central locking, or electric windows. I am very cautious as I have some very expensive camera gear.As I am also Tom's photographer. With our first car, I felt reasonably safe as I could quickly centrally lock all doors and keep windows wound up. As you can imagine, I am a female on my own supporting my husband on this run. I keep about 1 km ahead of him in the support vehicle. Do I need to continue to be overly careful? I spend between 7 & 8 hours a day in the car while my husband is running. We have this car now till the 19th December.

Hoping you are able to give me some advise. Trip Advisor has been most helpful in the past.

Kind Regards, Carmel

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation and Car Safety

Have a look at www.ruta0.com;then put in your cities. The website will display the route plus accomodations along the way.

There are actually more accomodations then what is listed here. From Santiago to Portillo ski area, there are alot of farms along the way. At the border crossing area of Argentina then you'll find alot of accomodations.

This road is used as the main artery for trucking between Chile and Argentina in this area.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation and Car Safety

Thank you for the information about www.ruta0.com We will look that up.

We have actually already travelled from Valparaiso to Mendoza, via Portillo.

We needed information about accommodation from Mendoza to Buenos Aires along the 7.

3. Re: Accommodation and Car Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, December 16, 2013