We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Patagonia

Toronto, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Patagonia

I am interested in doing a hiking trip in Patagonia with my family. Any suggestions? Is there a tour company that you would recommend? Is it better to do day hikes?

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Patagonia

Hi Denice,

Patagonia is great! but the Argentinian side is mostly a desert except for the area of Bariloche-Esquel. The Chilean side is amazing and full of green, water, glaciars, wildlife and attractions (Horseback riding, boat rides, glaciars, unique villages and culture, hot springs, day trips and longer hiking). For example, in Chile you find the famous Torres Del Paine NP, Cerro Castillo, Tamango, Queulat, Laguna San Rafael, Exploradores, Futaleufu... and many more)

About tours, you can contact 'El-Kartel Chile', they have tours starting in Torres Del Paine through El-Calafte and Perito Moreno and to the Chilean Patagonia, El-Bolson, Bariloche and to Puerto Montt. 10 days in a private jeep with a guide cost about 800$US per person. On the way you can do many short hikes, great for families, and can be done at your own pace.

Have fun! :)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
781 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Patagonia

Dear Denice,

Great you are thinking to come to Argentina!

You will find excellent hiking opportunities in the area of Bariloche (northern Patagonia), El Chalten (this is actually considerated the capital of trekking) and Tierra del Fuego, between many others.

You can choose for day or multi-days hikes. Sometimes, for a family, is better to do day hikes, and to have the nice hotel, dinner, etc, in the evenings.

In Bariloche you can trekk to the base of Cerro Tronador or in Bahia Lopez, magnificent green areas. Here you have the views of the Andes, and can visit the forest in the different parts of National Park Nahuel Huapi.

Bariloche is also a really nice place- swiss town style- with great restaurantes (and chocolate production!).

In El Chalten, the capital of trekking, you can go for "Laguna de los Tres" one of the most spectacular views of Patagonia, to admire Fitz Roy Mountain, Cerro Torre and Poincenot. This is a full day trekking, that can be very tiring, but deserves every effort.

You can also hike to the base of Cerro Torre, where you can joing for a trekking on the Glacier of the same name, or, go for shorter choices as Laguna Capri (a lovely three hours hike though the forest).

In Tierra del Fuego, you can enjoy the National Park that is situated in Lapataia Bay, with views of the beagle Channel, lenga forest, lakes and rivers. This National park is very close of Ushuaia, considered the southernmost city of the world.

I hope you have a lovely experience...hiking in Patagonia is probably one of those memories you will keep for ever.

Veronica

Say Hueque Tours

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
319 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Patagonia

There are many amazing hiking opportunities in Patagonia - either in Argentina or Chile. If you focus on the National Parks each has its own character and a great range of trails, but the main thing is to decide where you would like to go. Patagonia is vast and the distances between different National Parks is huge. Yes, the Argentinian side of Patagonia is drier - but if you are near the Andes the dry steppe gives way to forests, lakes and snow capped mountains as you get nearer the mountain chain.

Nahuel Huapi park (around Bariloche) is a great area, very beautiful and with a lot of tourist infrastructure (hotels, restaurants etc). Alerces park (near Esquel) is also a stunning area of lakes and mountains, slightly less developed. Then there is Los Glaciares - either the north or south parts - much more rugged and on a grand scale, with more difficult and longer hikes. For a real experience I loved the Perito Moreno National park, which is remote, a very very long way from towns and with very few visitors and almost no facilities - but is utterly awesome with its mountains, condors and astonishing blue and green lakes.

Chilean Patagonia is also amazing - but again you really need to focus on an area to visit because north-south travel is difficult and takes time. A visit to Torres del Paine is a must - but feels like a different country if you then have to travel up to the Chilean Lake District either by Plane of long boat trip.

Edited: 8:17 am, July 17, 2012
London
Level Contributor
512 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Patagonia

Go to El Chaltern best trekking out of all the areas I trekked in,( in chile and Argentina) as you can step out of your hotel and walk up to the start of a trek and immediately get amazing views. There are loads of easy treks as well

Buy yourself a copy of the lonely planets guide to trekking in Patagonia - good book.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
482 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Patagonia

I would double what Catherine just posted. We have a break a day between group activities in El Chalten and apparently there is a trail for hiking to the lakes at the base of the Fitz Roy mountain that is supposed to be beautiful.

We have plans to do it in our gap day.

London
Level Contributor
512 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in Patagonia

Thanks well_travelled

It was very beautiful!

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in Patagonia

Hi , I am Maria the director of Patagonia Trails, we are based in Pto Varas, the lakeDistrict region in Chile. We operate in Patagonia since 1998 and I have been leading trips all around.

Ideally if you are going with your family and depending the average of ages I would recommned you doing different treks around Austral Patagonia or the northern Patagonia. If the group family are youngsters then maybe the northern patagonia would be more weather friendly trip.

If you also like horse riding and kayaking then the Puello Valley is ideal. If you guys are adults then the W trek in Paine NAtional Park in Chuile is great although it is better to do the V trek which is the part that wasn't burnt by the last fire. I can organize the refugios, or camping for you in advance since there is a lot of demand on the season. Another trek is of course the Glaciares National Park in Argentina, here you can do day treks and go back to the village or take your own tent. No fire allowed in the park. I hope this helps and if you have any ideas about your trip let me know , mabe we can help you organize your memorable journey! Take care,MA

8. Re: Hiking in Patagonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 17, 2013