We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical expences

India
9 posts
Save Topic
Medical expences

My hubby just got a permanent job in singapore..

wanted to know the medical expences there. have heard it too expensive? also what about apartments? can we get a nice 1 BHK in reasonable charge?

pls help asap.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical expences

If he got a Permanent Job in a Reputable MNC, the company should be getting him medicial insurance, which is a requirement for foreign workers. Did he even negotiate for a package deal with the company he going to be working for? Or it just the job?

If it is just the Job, then it gonna be a rather expensive experience for U.......

The Normal Government public housing(HDB Flat) 3 room would set him back by about S$900 - S$1400.00 per month And for Private Apartment (condo) It is about S$1200.00 to S$2400.00 per month - Depending on location. (Some include the Electric Bill , while some dun).........Medical for Foreign definitely is getting higher after the recent change......

Here's one very comprehensive guide wich is good for U to check around.....U can find all answer to ur relocating Qs (incuding rental charges):

singaporeexpats.com/guides-for-expats/guides…

Good Luck

India
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical expences

hey thanks

he is yet to negotiate anything. i asked it JUST IN CASE they dont cover. ye he got into a reputed MNC so m hopiong they'll cover medical.

thanks for the site its very helpful

i'll still wanna know the point of view of local SIN-ites?? about the apartmnts i mean.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical expences

From a Singaporean point of view ....if Ur hubby doesn't negotiate the housing & medical as a package, U gonna find most of his earning are going towards those essential.........

Apartment like I say above will set U back from S$900 to S$4500 & above, depending on location, how big is the place etc.........And for a foreign, U have to rent from open market & get a agent that can help U with all the required paper work Or if his new employer is gonna help him with that, wich would be excellent.......

Can U ask Ur husband, where is his new company gonna be? (No need company name) I can polly tell U where is near to stay.....

If U go to the link above, U get the rough rates for rental in Singapore for both Private & public Housing.

Here's a Public Housing rental site:

singaporeresidentialproperties.com/Search_HD…

Cheers

India
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical expences

what about fully furnished home like 1 BHK along with TV, Washing machine, fridge etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical expences

I Know of a private property off Yishun call Yishun Sapphire, fully furnished & 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom with washing machine, TV cost about S$1350 to S$1600 back in 2005 ^__^.....That is in the North of Singapore......

Other charges not included......

In Public Housing (HDB) Here's a brief guide:

3-room flat = 2 bedroom (Include 1 master room with toilet), a living room + a Kitchen

Rental Rates: S$900 - S$1400

4-room flat = 3 bedroom (Include 1 master room with toilet), a living room + a Kitchen

Rental Rates: S$1050 - S$1500

Most of the above rental can come with nothing or just a few pcs of furniture & no washing machine

In Singapore, it is cheaper to live in public housing But some people will take advantage (with rental rate) when renting to others, so try to get a few option so U won't be trap by those ugly singaporean. If u getting a private apartment at almost the same price as Public housing with TV & other included, go for it.......And choose location wisely, so Ur husband won't end up having to travel a long distance to work everyday.........

Cheers

India
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical expences

thanks

that was a lot helpful.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical expences

Hi,

Please ensure that your husband gets medical insurance!! Private hospitals in Singapore are very expensive. More expensive than in some places in Europe. In one top international insurance company (I shan't mention names), they divided the world/countries into 4 categories, and Singapore is in the 2nd highest category. America is in the first, and some European countries are in the 3rd category!

If you go for public hospitals, then that is a different price range, but the waiting period can be long - and you don't want to be waiting the whole day just to see a doctor.

However, having said that, the medical facilities here are one of th best in teh world, and we still have to wait a lot less than in the US or Europe. e.g. My friend who lives in Florida had a sore throat once and her appointment to see the doctor was in a month's time! In SIngapore, you can just go to any GP the same day and get your medication as well - at the GP. You don't have to walk to a pharmacy to buy the medication.

And the rental prices of apartments are getting more and more expensive.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,611 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical expences

A lot of my pals had moved into those apartments by HDB the executive (?) types which looks like a normal condo in SIN (to me at least). American school had relocated to Woodlands so quite a few of my buds moved up there and are enjoying the different lifestyle, they feel more in tune with SIN nowadays, going to local markets, dining at kopitiams etc. They did noticed the differences in cost of living (definitely cheaper away from town areas) and even the local supermarket had cater more to their needs and stock up more western groceries.

HDB apartments are very well done and comfortable, as long as u find one that has a nearby MRT stop, it doesnt matter too much where u r.

As others had said, it really depends on where your husband works and of course, if u want to get into town, u dont want to be too far away. I had some friends who are not with kids or single had moved to Redhill (?), Ang Mo Kio and Toa Payoh. All these are quite easily accessible and still not too far to take the MRT to town.

Good Luck

PS> private apartment will always cost more due to the facilities and cost of maintainence (monthly) eg. pool, gym, squash court, etc but in a HDB estate, u have access to public pools, libraries, banks, police, shopping malls, medical clinics, etc

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical expences

most expats nowadays don't really get a expat as such. these days it's not like long ago when expats used to get housing car etc.

nowadays it's really the bare minimum. Anyway with regards to housing, there are heaps of flats in singapore for rent and in a way it is better for you to choose where you wanna stay.

Just didn't want you to get funny ideas about your husband's company providing everything and making a mockery of yourself when he hasn't started work yet!

10. Re: Medical expences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 27, 2009