We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels

united kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
hotels

Spending 3 day stopover in Sin early March. Have looked at Pan Pacific (but put off by Glass Elevators) and also Oriental (who have never heard of AsiaBestHotel). Are these 2 hotels beside each other (rates seem a little lower at Oriental. Is it easy to get around the sights from these locations and are there good places to eat nearby. Please help me decide

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels

Most hotels have probably never heard of asiabesthotel...because they do business as RMG Tours/RMG Travel. They are a huge company in Singapore, and very well known. You can read the ABOUT US section on their asiabesthotel.com site and learn all about them. I know this because I had trouble booking through them for the Four Seasons in Singapore because I already had a reservation made directly that I needed to cancel first....no double booking. It all worked out, and the Four Seasons, when I talked with them by phone, confirmed my new reservation by RMG Tours no problem.

The Oriental is a nicer hotel than the Pan pacific in my opinion, based on research only, though. From what I understand, Singapore is dead easy to get around, and nowhere is far, as Singapore is so small.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels

Oriental, Pan Pacific and Marina Mandarin are all linked to Marina Square Mall so in terms of location, there is not much of a difference except the views.

Fish is right about asiabesthotel.com coz this is their online site for hotel reservations while the company is owned by RMG Tours (a very established agency in SIN). In order to get the rates offered by asiabesthotel.com u have to go thru' them as the rates are negotiated rates while the hotel has their own rates that they offer to the public.

If u can get a better price for Oriental, I say GO FOR IT ! There is no question if I have to choose between the two, I will go with Oriental rather than Pan Pac.

U can get around SIN easily even if u dont stay at these two hotels but this location is good coz u r near the colonial neighborhoods as well as being close to the riverside areas. U r also linked to one of the main changing tube station via underground passageways lined with shops and cafes as well as overhead covered bridge to Suntec.

U r in good shape if u go with Oriental for good quality lodging, convenience to shopping, dining and transport.

Good Luck

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8282-Suggested…

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels

for food, u wont lack any as I had mentioned, u can walk into the mall from your hotel and dine at any of the many restaurants in there :

marinasquare.com.sg/web/sp_yummy_treats.aspx

or walk over to Suntec City Mall :

suntecreit.com/sunteccitymall/…

or Raffles City Mall :

www.rafflescity.com/stores/stores.html#

or Chimjes :

http://www.chijmes.com.sg/

or Esplanade Mall :

http://www.esplanade.com/SOPApp/espsop/portal_proxy?uri=lL8g=fqY!SviNLovlW409L5DA-UiZ7tyNUGuYjqC6FnfkkR.GjMsJFM

or Clark Quay (this is quite a bit of a walk if u do it from your hotel so i would recommend taking a short ferry ride) :

www.clarkequay.com.sg/storeCategory.asp

and Boat Quay (sorry cant find a link to their list of restaurants).

good luck

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels

I'd stick with the oriental as well, they were recently renovated so it's all nice and comfortable to live in. Location is great being near the marina area. There's heaps of shops and food places around so don't bother eating in the hotel.

If you're lucky as well, you may get a room facing the river and city

Transport is easy in singapore with the trains (MRT) and multitude of buses around the area.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels

Hi Sadie,

The Pan Pacific and the Oriental are just right across the street of each other. As Fish has mentioned, Singapore is really small and doesn't take more than 1 1/2 hours to get from one end to the other. Where both hotels are (in the Marina area), there is the City Hall MRT Interchange just a short walk away which makes travelling by train easy.

The Esplanade, Merlion Park and Suntec City are all close by. As is Chijmes, Asian Civilisations Museum and Lau Pa Sat (Festival Market).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels

If you do stay at the pan pac, indian restuarant there is pricey but excellent...Raang Mahal I believe

united kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels

Thanks to one and all for the comments -greatly appreciated and soooooooo helpful. Congrats on a brill forum

8. Re: hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, August 25, 2009