We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suburban malls and markets

timaru, new zealand
10 posts
Save Topic
suburban malls and markets

We are visiting Singapore in July for 5 days at Swissotel Merchant Court and 4 days Starcruise.My wife is keen to visit a suburban area mall or market place where locals shop as she believes she may get cheaper prices with less hassles.Could anyone recommend one and are there any drawbacks to this scheme e.g. safety communication problems etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suburban malls and markets

get on the local transport system. i think the nearest to your hotel should be either orchard mrt.

the nearest local shopping area to orchard is Toa Payoh where there are lots of small shops to browse. almost every mrt station has a shopping centre or wet market within walking distance. the few that i can think of near orchard would be the following

1. Toa Payoh (shops)

2. Novena (mall)

3. Bugis (mall + shops)

if you have the time you may want to visit the following, they are about 45min - 1.5 hr from orchard. although methinks they are about the same. depending on what you want to buy.

1. woodlands (mall)

2. Boon Lay (mall)

3. Choa Chu Kang (mall)

4. Bukit Batok (mall)

5. Tampiness (malls)

6. Yishun (mall + shop houses)

7. Tiong Baru (mall)

8. Jurong East (mall + shops houses)

9. Simei (mall)

10. Clementi (shops)

may have missed some, drawbacks are none that i can think of. almost all singaporeans understand english and if you get lost can always ask around. prices wise, they should be about the same. unless you are talking about fruits and such.

netherlands
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suburban malls and markets

Safety is not a problem in Singapore and most people speak and understand English. Only in small shops in chinatown the language might be a problem but there is always someone around to help you out.

Since your hotel is next to china town you might want to take a look at the shopping complexes there. You will have to bargain for the price however.

Your hotel is right in front of a MRT Station but for most of the Malls you will have to change train at Douby Ghaut and take the train to Woodlands. The best suburban shopping mall in my opinion is Causeway Point. The shops in places like Toa Payoh and Yishun are more for the everyday stuff and you won't find the big brands there. In most of the shops in Toa Payoh you need to bargain. I you are visiting these place you might want to have a bite to eat there aswell. The food in the hawker centres is the best and os perfectly safe to eat. It will only cost you a few dollars.

If you're looking for branded clothes I would still recomand the orchard area. There's is lots of competition and there are sale's going on most of the time.

You might want to consider taking the free shuttle bus from the hotel to raffles city shopping mall and walk through the underground pass to Milleniawalk and Suntec City shopping Mall. Shops, shops, shops and more shops!

Have fun and don't forget to bring your creditcards!

perth
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: suburban malls and markets

Hi I have always found the cheapest place is little india on serangoon rd. serangoon plaza is at one end of the street at the other is a building that looks a bit like a carpark in the bottom is a wet market but in the top is a market selling clothes etc the small shops along the road are all worth looing at asyou never know what you might find also the mustafa centre is open 24 hrs the other place as previously suggested is bugi junction particualy in the evening

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suburban malls and markets

Hi. There is also another area - Bishan. The mall is called Junction 8 and it's the 8th station on the North Line. It's a typical surburban mall and is very popular with teens. Bishan is also a younger estate and so the crowd there is younger than Toa Payoh, which is an older estate. Toa Payoh is pretty good because while there are new shops (they are all small shops, there isn't any real shopping mall there), there is also the old and the new. There is a shop in Toa Payoh, called Lee Wah Cosmetics, or something like that, where many locals go and buy their skincare products and some make-up brands.

Clothse wise. The quality is OK, not fantastic, but they are much cheaper than Orchard Road, and for that price, you really can't complain!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suburban malls and markets

If you go to any mall in Singapore there will be very little hassle. I have had friends who thought the prices in the suburbs would be better than in the city. We went to the Tampines Mall and found that the prices were almost the same. Singapore operates on a fixed price system, unless you are in Chinatown,Little India or Sim Lim Square. I feel that no matter which mall you go to there should be little hassle(you may be hasseled at sim lim sq-electronics) or communication problems. The higher end malls (Takashimaya, Raffles City, Bugis mall-may have better quality items-but other than that it's all the same).

Don't worry about communication problems. Almost everyone speaks good English here. It's the official language of the country. You may have some issues with a taxi driver every now and then. Just get used to Singaporean slang-where they say lah after a lot of things. And use the word "can" for yes.

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suburban malls and markets

I would suggest that you may like to consider going to Toa Payoh. I stayed here when I was young. Although, now I am no longer staying in this town, I still come down here to shop. The shops are clustered near the Toa Payoh MRT station. You can find value for money shoes and clothes (for men, ladies and children), toys, bags, foodstuff, cosmetics, etc. There are restaurants, coffee shops, food mall, fast food, etc all scattered in the town. If you will to get tired after all the shopping, there is also a cinema complex where you can catch a movie. In my opinion, I don't think you will have any communication or safety problems. Do have a pleasant time in Singapore!

timaru, new zealand
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: suburban malls and markets

thanks to everyone for your help,I am looking forward to getting there