We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoking!!!!!

Netherlands
12 posts
Save Topic
smoking!!!!!

Although my husband and I will be trying to quit before our holiday in April - what if we can't!!!!!

I have seen that most hotels have smoking/non smoking rooms but what happens in the bars. A few hotels had bars with particular reference to a large menu of cigars. I assume that if a cigar is o.k. a cig. will be no problem.

Restaurants I assume will be non-smoking and I understand there's no smoking on the street. Hotel balcony?????

Singapore
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: smoking!!!!!

It is legal to smoke on streets and there are quite some people smoking on the street. If i aint wrong, smoking is still legal in bars. Most of the air conditioned places are non-smoking places. Hotel Balcony? You got to ask the hotel which you may plan to go.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smoking!!!!!

Hi Pasia,

It's not that bad ;-) ... No one's gonna catch you for smoking on the streets although you may wanna be careful about smoking in public places like the food centres, in queues etc. There have been more areas designated in coffee shops and food stalls - so you may wanna be more wary of notices posted around the food establishment.

As 9889 has mentioned so long as you tell the front desk upon check-in that you'll like a smoking room, I don't think you'll have a problem about smoking in the hotel's balcony - unless of course if the entire hotel practices a total non-smoking policy.

You'll be fine, Pasia (",)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smoking!!!!!

dont worry too much :) smokers can still survive in SIN, just a little troublesome but definitely not impossible. Clubs and bars have a certain curfew and only after a certain time (license they have will indicate the time) of the night (used to be after 11 pm then pushed to midnight and now ???).

And most places have designated smoking area though where they are u got to find out (from each mall's concierge or building's reception, etc).

Good Luck

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Taipei
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoking!!!!!

Hi there

Smokers have to stub out at coffee shops and hawker centres from July 2006 and it will be the same for entertainment outlets as well by July 2007. (So only if U come after July 2007, u will be affect).

More details from the Official site:

app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/category_sub.asp…

Have a good time..........

Netherlands
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: smoking!!!!!

Thanks to all of you for your help, doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as I'd heard - pretty much the same as in Amsterdam.

Planning to stay in the Fullerton in a loft suite (chose this as it has a balcony) havn't seen anything on their site about smoking. Did dodge a few hotels that had a 100% no smoking policy. Looking forward to our stay - thanks again.

Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: smoking!!!!!

Hi,

Altho most foreigners might regard Singapore as a "fine" and strict city, it aint so for smoking ban enforcement from what I observe. If its ur hotel balcony outisde your room, should be no problem.

Level Contributor
2,300 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: smoking!!!!!

Is Singapore going to be the same as England in July 2007 we are forbidding Smoking in any public places, it will be great. Where can you smoke in Singapore at present? We were so hoping it would be banned by the time we visit in Feb but obviiously not, I think over the years of visiting Singapore there have been more and more smokers and it seems less of a problems where you smoke, maybe I am wrong here but that is my impression

NewZealand
Level Contributor
125 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: smoking!!!!!

I have heard that you can not take international cigarettes into SIN is this true? And that the filter tips and packets of local cigarettes are distinctive so that imports can be spotted? What about duty free allowances on cigarettes and cigars? Are these allowed? What can you take in or not take in?

In New Zealand we recently had legislaton passed that forbids smoking in bars, restaurants, shops and most public areas, all schools, etc. Outdoor bars that tried to erect awnings to cover smokers were also included. There is talk of extending it to smoking in your car as well!

On the street is generally ok though we've noticed a real shift in attitude towards people who smoke. Small crowds now form outside bars in clusters which tends to take the drinking problems onto the street and a lot more partying is done at people's houses including private club type "bars" springing up at private residences where people can still smoke.

The best thing about it being no smoking in bars and restaurants is no smell, no sore eyes and a far more pleasant environment to enjoy - even smokers like the law changes. The price of tobacco has gone sky high as another deterant and the images on packets are horrid. Slowly more and more of us are giving it up.

Essex, England
Level Contributor
537 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smoking!!!!!

In regards to smoking, are you allowed to take duty free cigarettes into Singapore. I am a non smoker by my husband does like a few cigarettes when on holiday.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: smoking!!!!!

Hi,

Afraid there are no duty free concessions on cigarettes when you arrive into Singapore though you'll be allowed to purchase duty-free beer, liquor and wine.

However on the way out from Singapore, be sure to get duty-free ciggies at the duty free shop. They're real cheap. S$20 for a carton!

Have Fun! (",)