We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers, Changi and night safari

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transfers, Changi and night safari

Hi

Have had a trawl through the forum and picked up lots of info.

We are visiting singapore 4th-7th Feb and are staying at the Orchard Hotel Have never been before although my husband was here for a few years as a very young child. He lived in what was then Changi village - around 1955 - and thinks he lived on Mansel or manfield road. The strongest memory he has is - he thinks- the tiger balm gardens which we plan to see so any information on that would be appreciated. He would like to revisit Changi. Our flight out is at 20 past midnight on morning of 8th. We thought that on our last day we would check out of the hotel, take our bags to airport left luggage and then take a taxi to Changi. However, it doesn't seem to crop up in suggested must do lists. Would really appreciate any info about the area and what may remain of what was there in the mid 1950s.

My second question is about getting from the airport to our hotel - is the airport shuttle bus the best option - 2 adults four suitcases -

Many thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers, Changi and night safari

Orchard hotel - shuttle cost less than 5 pounds (for both of u) while a cab will only cost 8 pounds. Shuttle has a schedule to follow and will stop along the way to drop other passengers off while a cab will be door to door. So it really depends on how tired u feel when u arrive :)

Tiger Balm Gardens aka Haw Par Villa is still around but is on the other side of the island.

As for Changi, I dont think your spouse will recognise the area as it had been transformed, even the prison museum had been moved to a bigger newer location. The Changi Village :

visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home…

Here are some other discussions from other travelers who was in SIN 20 years ago or more :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k916…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294264-i7273-k707…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k654…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294262-i1747-k651…

Good Luck

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8282-Suggested…

Singapore
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers, Changi and night safari

Welcome to our island, No1Mum! :)

Your hubby will recall these images he had seen in Haw Par Villa (Tiger Balm Gardens). Be advised: some of the pics r of gory nature somehow. Those images portraying "punishments of varying styles in hell"..

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=haw+par+villa

Yes, Changi is vastly transformed. U can catch glimpses of Changi here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=changi+&m=text

Enjoy! :D

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers, Changi and night safari

Hi Thanks for your replies. Really exceited about our trip - 10 days to go and still lots of planning to do! Singapore is the first stop of a 5 week tour. Will let you know how it all goes! Will do CHangi and Tiger Balm and lots of walking!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers, Changi and night safari

Bring on the sunscreen! It's getting really hot these days .... ;-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers, Changi and night safari

Looks like Checker's been monitoring the weather hehe.. Yup, the weather's getting scorching hot these days. Though it rains fiercely unpredictably often too. Erratic weather? That's what it is! ;P

Bring a foldable umbrella along, so U won't need to shelve yr plans when it pours.

Regards, TA. :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers, Changi and night safari

With the Strong cold front that is coming towards Asia (Singapore included) from Siberia...........Be prepare for rainstorm..........that would be causing another round of flood..........(prolly even during chinese new year)

Good Luck

Singapore
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers, Changi and night safari

The weather is good :P If there are much rain, it would be a hassle to bring the umbrella and getting shoes wet. Getting from airport to hotel with four suitcases it would be much easier to take a taxi and not the shuttle(considering waiting time too).

8. Re: Transfers, Changi and night safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 27, 2009