We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on Orchard, ParkRoyal, Stamford hotels

Texas, USA
8 posts
Save Topic
Opinions on Orchard, ParkRoyal, Stamford hotels

Hi! I would like to hear your opinions about these hotels: Orchard hotel, Grand Plaza ParkRoyal, and Swissotel Stamford. Which one would you recommend? I have read mixed opinions about Orchard hotel and it's quite a walk to get to MRT. I like the room because the room design is quite modern. I heard ParkRoyal is good too but it is not on Orchard Road but I am guessing it won't be an issue since MRT is close by. My husband is very picky about hotel. He likes somewhat newer and modern hotel. Can anyone help me? Thanks a bunch!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on Orchard, ParkRoyal, Stamford hotels

How about renovated Or refurbished Hotel? ^__^

Check out:

(1) Marina Mandarin

(2) The Oriental Hotel

(3) York Hotel (On Mt Elizabeth, 7min off Main Orchard Rd. Was renovated almost recently)

(3) Swissotel Stamford have renovated some of the room (if am not wrong, I read about it somewhere)

Great Location, just above the City Hall MRT station

If U are coming after Feb or Mar 2007, U may like to check out Royal Plaza on Scott. It is currently closed for a full revamped & due to re-open early next yr (2007). This is right on Orchard with everything at the doorstep & Orchard MRT station is just about 5min walk away.

U can check www.asiabesthotel.com for rates information

Or www.asiarooms.com for traveler reviews.

Have a good time.

Texas, USA
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on Orchard, ParkRoyal, Stamford hotels

Thanks for the inputs. Oriental hotel and Marina Mandarin are nice hotels but they are out of our budget range. Any other hotels in Orchard road or Marina area that you can recommend that around the same rates as Orchard hotel or Grand Plaza ParkRoyal? We are going this month. Thanks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on Orchard, ParkRoyal, Stamford hotels

Orchard hotel - the rooms are nicer at Claymore Wing (could be why there are mixed reviews), it is really not that far from Orchard MRT

Grand Plaza ParkRoyal - nice base but closer to Raffles hotel and that area rather than Orchard (unless u plan to shop, it doesnt really matter too much if u r not along Orchard)

Swissotel Stamford - due to location their prices are going up (and up). It is very central and very convenient to make it to Orchard or the river side areas (btw, this hotel is not in the same price range as Orchard or Grand Plaza Park Royal, just thought u might want to check coz there is another Swissotel in town - Swissotel Merchant Court which is in the same price range as the other two mentioned)

if u want to experience something unique but still enjoy modern design, try Hotel 1929 in Chinatown (one thing, no pool)

U should think about Pan Pacific coz they have an advance rate payment that is an extremely good rate. And if u r on a weekend, make sure u book the weekend rate (fri to sun) and make another for the rest of your stay (weekend rates usually comes with extras too).

Good Luck

st. louis
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on Orchard, ParkRoyal, Stamford hotels

I stayed at the Orchard 2 years ago, and I thought it was a great place. The pool is very nice and the walk to the MRT is not really too far.

The room (I stayed on the top floor, executive level), service and staff were all top rate.

I have not stayed anywhere else so I can't compare.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on Orchard, ParkRoyal, Stamford hotels

Hi Ibnt

The Hotel in the rate range of Grand Plaza ParkRoyal are:

(1) York hotel (Was renovated almost recently and it just a short walk down orchard Road)

(2) Rendezvous Hotel (3min to Dhoby Ghaut MRT & was sort of located btw Marina & Orchard)

Just a note: If U are going with Grand Plaza ParkRoyal, do ask for a room facing the pool with Fort Canning view. This is a Hotel in a great location, 5min to middle of Orchard by bus and it is just a walk to the Marina & Esplanade area with some great shopping in btw.

Cheers

6. Re: Opinions on Orchard, ParkRoyal, Stamford hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 18, 2009