We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hours transit Singapore

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
976 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
10 hours transit Singapore

In late September we will fly Paris/Singapore (arriving around 2.30pm) and then fly on to Brisbane around 11.30pm. We will be travelling on Aussie passports. We have had several 4 hour visits to Changi airport (as well as another one on the way to Europe on this trip) so don't want to explore the airport, but want to allow plenty of time for immigration procedures for our flight home. It has been a long time since we last visited Singapore so looking for some advice as to where we can go for shopping (can you buy cheap designer handbags, watches etc anywhere?), maybe some shoe and clothes shopping (not designer clothes unless an outlet shop at affordable prices), a bar for post shopping drinks - nice view or interesting area (not flashy as we will only be in casual comfy travel clothes), hawker stalls for early dinner (we used to go to Newton Circus) - where do you suggest we go for this? What time do the hawker stalls open for dinner. Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hours transit Singapore

You don't have a lot of time, personally I would recommend you don't travel all the way to Orchard/town area. You can stay in the east of SG if you don't mind that it doesn't look as flashy as Orchard Road. Also, these areas are more heartland and they're not catered for tourists at all, so don't expect handy brochures with useful maps to navigate around these places.

You can take the MRT to Tampines, there are three shopping malls there chock full of...retail shopping. I don't find any food there particularly impressive though.

Or you can go to Bedok, there's a new mall there full of your typical retail shopping, there is a hawker centre right next to the mall and I personally recommend either the mutton soup or ban mian (google it, it's a noodle soup dish) Also there are two (or three?) standalone supermarket buildings, one is called Sheng Shiong and another NTUC. There you can buy packet food or jars of Kaya jam or other souveniers. However you can get lost easily in Bedok central.

If you take the MRT from Changi Airport to Expo, there is a mall called Changi City Point that supposedly houses factory outlet storefronts for certain brands. My personal experience is that nothing there is particularly cheap though. And the food there can't match up to Bedok at all.

My second suggestion is completely seasonal so it purely depends on your luck. At Expo MRT, there's a convention center called Singapore Expo. Occasionally, major department stores will hold clearance/outlet sales there. Unfortunately these sales are periodical and they don't have fixed dates. So you can only find out 1-2 days before you arrive in SG whether there's a sale at Singapore Expo. From Singapore Expo you can take a direct bus back to the airport (bus number 24) it takes about half an hour to reach the airport from Expo by bus

As far as I know, there aren't any bars in these 3 places. If you are looking for alcohol, you can drink some Tiger beer at a hawker centre/kopitiam if you don't mind the lack of ambience.

If you want a fancier place that's more tourist friendly, you can head over to Bugis or Orchard and do the usual except you'll be very rushed for time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hours transit Singapore

Except for satay and barbecue stalls, most hawker stalls are open from morning or lunchtime. As for designer bags, it depends on whether there are any sales ongoing. Coach has an outlet store at IMM mall which carries some boutique and outlet range. The mall itself has other clothing outlet stores, a big supermarket and many restaurants.

Edited: 10:43 am, June 01, 2014
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hours transit Singapore

Hello, Food street in Chinatown has been recently refurbished, a roof now shelters from rain.

Alternate option would be Lau Pa Sat. Renovation goes to its ends and the place should have reopened the time you would be in Singapore. Next Lau Pa Sat there is Boon Tat street where the satay stalls are.

Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hours transit Singapore

There are sightseeing tours starting at Changi Airport if I am not wrong. A taxi will not be more than about 20 - 25 SGD Airport - City and usually goes fast. If you want street food I like Newton Circus.

5. Re: 10 hours transit Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 03, 2015