We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

Hi All,

We are planning to take the children for a quick break to Singapore and wondering if anyone can help us to make the most of Singapore in 3 days.

My questions are as follow:

* Is there a market/flea market in Singapore that sells NBA Jerseys for a cheap price? either fake or original? If so, where should I go?

* How many days will I need for Universal Studio? is 1 day enough? or will I need more than 1 day?

* What other thing I can do with a teenager and a 9 year old while I am in Singapore?

* I am going to be based in Orchard Rd, so it will be easy for shopping. Do you think that is a good idea? or would I be better off staying elsewhere? Budget is not an issue.

Thanks your your help!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,509 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

LittleQT, hello

1/ <<ells NBA Jerseys for a cheap price? either fake or original?>>

Queensway shopping centre

aslo check:

weargood.com/NBA-Swingman-Jerseys/18818-NBA-…

nikefacebook.com/NBA-Jerseys/9723-NBA-Jersey…

2/ <<How many days will I need for Universal Studio?>.

One full day is sure enough.

3/ <<What other thing I can do with a teenager and a 9 year old while I am in Singapore?>>

yoursingapore.com

www.sentosa.com.sg/en/

4/ << I am going to be based in Orchard Rd, so it will be easy for shopping. Do you think that is a good idea? or would I be better off staying elsewhere? >>

Clarke Quay or City Hall would be more convenient for travel around the city and overall transport proximity.

5/ << Budget is not an issue.>.

SO HAPPY FOR you!!!!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

If you want to do shopping, there are some shopping malls you can visit outside of Orchard Road like Suntec City (near Cityhall) and Vivocity (near Sentosa). Orchard Road has many shopping malls also but not exactly the budget type. More of midscale department store stuff to high street to upscale.

Edited: 3:41 am, May 03, 2014
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
19,415 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

Hello,

Not a good idea to go looking for fake products in Singapore. Search around malls for proper branded goods.

If your main goal for the trip is shopping, then staying on or near orchard road will be great for you. Plenty of high-end, and some mid-price shopping. The link below is to the Orchard road website listing malls and dining-

http://www.orchardroad.org/shop/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

Besides Queensway Shopping Centre, the other traditional sporting goods/merchandise hub is Peninsula Plaza (near City Hall). But these independent parallel importers (who bring in replica apparels) have been struggling in face of online competition for some time now. No harm popping in for a quick look if you're nearby.

One of the local sportswear chains (forgot which one) acquired NBA licensing some time back, although I don't recall business taking off. But they are the ones who sell the authorized stuff, so check the mall directory when you're in the shopping belt.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

* 1 day in USS is sufficient.

* Check out the zoo or river safari. Both are pretty interesting places.

* Yup, orchard road is the place for shopping!

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

hello, accommodation-wise have you considered Marina Sands Bay? Your family would enjoy the huge infinity pool on top of the hotel. The MBS is at Marina Bay with great view over the city skyline. Gardens by the Bay is behind the hotel and the Flyer is nearby.

1 day is enough for USS. You may even squeeze the S.E.A Aquarium if you go to USS early, the S.E.A Aquarium an great huge panoramic tank. Also on Sentosa you kids can swim with the dolphins.

The Zoo is excellent, there is also the River Safari next by: you may do both within the same day. The Night Safari is nearby too but it requires a bit of patience to see the animals, may be the youngest kid would be too young?

For more ideas you may check the Singapore Tourism Board at the Family section: yoursingapore.com/content/…family-fun.html

For shopping have a visit to Bugis market for your teenage kid(s). Also have a look at the shops at Haji lane near Arab street.

Edited: 3:36 pm, May 05, 2014
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

Duck tour should be fun for the kids too.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

<<What other thing I can do with a teenager and a 9 year old while I am in Singapore?>>

If your kids like physical activity, here are a few interesting options although they are not typical touristy activities:

1. Do the HSBC Treetop walk in Singapore's rainforest. Its about 7 km starting and finishing at Venus Drive car park. For more details, visit:

www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php…

It takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs to complete the walk (ex Venus Drive) and the suspension bridge is open from 9 to 5 on weekdays and 8.30 to 5 on weekends.

2. Go cycling on the North East Riverine Loop. For details, visit:

nparks.gov.sg/cms/docs/NERL_Eguide_final.pdf

The complete route is 26 km but you can do a shorter loop (10.8 km) starting from Punggol Point Park and cutting across Punggol waterway park (route 8) in the map.

Note that bicycle rental is only available at Punggol Point park and NOT at Punggol Park as shown in the map.

Punggol is away from the city. You can reach Punggol point by taxi but may have difficulties in getting a taxi for return. If you don't mind using public transport, there's a bus service between Punggol pt and the Punggol MRT station.

You also have an option to do cycling closer to the city along the East Coast Park beach. In my personal opinion, Punggol is a more interesting place to cycle. There are a also few eating places at Punggol Pt. Best time to start cycling at Punggol is late afternoon.

Edited: 11:11 pm, May 05, 2014
9. Re: Singapore questions, first timers need help, please... :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 07, 2015