We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofitel So Singapore

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,209 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Sofitel So Singapore

For those interested - Soft Opening 31st May 2014

This much delayed but highly anticipated hotel's soft opening is only 26 days away. And although it appears loading of inventory for third parties haven't started, Accor own website has dates and rates now available.

No dates set as yet for the Grand Opening

sofitel.com/gb/…index.shtml

Press release of room photos from February 2014

hotelchatter.com/story/2014/2/8/42139/14404/…

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

The hotel is not yet open though 2 reviews already posted on TA: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294265-d259042…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,209 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

Yes, absolutely crazy.

I understand that TA 'allows' user experience, even if they haven't stayed, but I just wonder what exactly is the point telling people about their reservation experience.

The first basically says nothing except the reservation team booked the room type requested (umm, that's what they're supposed to do).

The second, the French lady is going nuts about insufficient information from the call centre, and not enough information on the website either, and expecting more for the €2000 she's going to spend.

These things happen during pre-opening.

But now look at the 'dot' ratings - one 5 Dots, one 1 Dot.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
20,307 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

I have added Sofitel So into my Accommodation Traveller Articles in Top Questions, and have been watching website listings of it. The room decor style is rather overdone and ornate. Not sure who it will appeal to. I find business people want a more modern and streamlined environment.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,209 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

Fantastic, good stuff Avanti.

Yes, it's a quirky sort of overdone, and it certainly isn't the 'lifestyle' design I was expecting. But then again, I don't really follow Karl Lagerfeld's fashion. Which part did he consult do you know? Or was it just his name?

The hype has been pretty big in the hotel industry, especially following on from BKK. But I agree with you, I can't see something like that going head to head with a brand like Hyatt's Andaz. It's just creating it's own market at present, because everyone else is. It'll be interesting to follow.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,307 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

This one will be interesting. Patina in the old Capitol Building.

lhw.com/hotel/The-Patina-Capitol-Singapore-S…

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,307 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

There are also lots of smaller trendy budget to mid-range hotels opening or have just opened in Singapore. it's hard to keep up with them.

The Clover group now has 3 properties. Hotel Clover, Clover @ Hong Kong Street and the new Hotel Clover The Arts on South Bridge Road.

J8 in little India

Aqueen Jalan Besar

Hotel Kai in Purvis street

Hotel NuVe on Jalan Pinang

And the new Amoy Hotel is doing very well in the TA. Reviews. It looks very stylish and interesting.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,209 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

That Patina will be interesting indeed, and I see it's already gained membership to LHW. Just going by that singular (first) photo, it immediately brought my mind into comparisons with the Park Hyatt type of styling. It's definitely a step up - but mind you it just happens to be the sort of soft furnishings I enjoy, so could be like visual bias.

It's interesting you raise that point about so many boutique hotels opening. It makes me wonder if Sofitel So delays were genuine. On a global scale, the soft opening date just happens to fall inbetween the Shangri-La at the Shard, and The Peninsula Paris. And wth you mentioning all those hotels that have opened up, it seems all to well timed to be a coincidence. Maybe it is, and they got lucky

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,307 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

Some of the new little ones - renovations of shophouse terraces call themselves boutique, but in my opinion aren't really. The rooms are very small, and there is some clever use of space and quirky features. Afraid many reviewers complain about the lack of space, glassed-in shower wet room over the toilet. But every new little hotel in Singapore is doing those things.

I try and keep up with the renovations too. The Carlton Hotel on Bras Basah road will shut down its main wing and executive tower for a complete reno (closed July 2014 until end of Feb, 2015). Their more expensive Premier Wing rooms will still be available. About time for that renovation as it has slipped in the TA ratings with many complaints about the old wing.

Changes also for Hangout @ Mount Emily, Village Hotel Albert Court, and Moon Hotel in Little India has just had a brief reno period.

Lots of new luxury Pod style boutique Hostels opening up as well. It's nearly a full-time job for me editing those articles I wrote in Top Questions...lol.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

Thanks for the info ... I think I will give it a try next time I'm in Singapore especially since its a Accor Hotel.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,307 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sofitel So Singapore

Price is a bit steep for me. Sgd$486.57 (Au$418.50 for one person with breakfast on the date I looked at).