We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

With SQ, you can check in to Changi up to 72hrs before your flight departs.

I may very well try this, to save on accommodation costs next month. However, with my luggage already checked through so I don't have to worry about it, and with my boarding pass already in hand (can't go airside without it), am I right in saying I can leave the airport through immigration any time I want and then return to the airport to sleep each night (in the snooze zone loungers)?

This means I could get 2 full days in Singapore doing some tourism, and not have to pay anything for accommodation costs. I love being in airports anyway, especially Changi, so it does not bother me.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

It's 48 hour before the the flight unless I am mistaken.

If you haven't arrived from somewhere else ( you have a landing card to fill in before going through immigration) you will have explaining to do at the immigration desk before leaving airside to go into Singapore. No doubt after consulting his seniors you will be let in again but I would not want to do it twice without actually leaving the country.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,359 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

Before entering SIN every passenger must fill in the arrival card, if you have no place to stay ( pre-booked accommodation a MUST requirement together with onward ticket and proof of sufficient funds) and your plane DEPARTS in 2-3 days, i`m sure you`ll be denied from the entry to Singapore.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

I'm pretty sure the airport authorities/police will take a dim view of someone dossing down at the airport, airside or not, for THREE days and nights. Not sure you'll get away with that one, I might be wrong. Good luck anyway.

I once, many years ago, spent 18hrs at Athens airport, all in the name of ''saving money'' It was awful, every hour was like a fortnight.

OK Changi's facilities are light years ahead of Athens, (in those days), but even so, 72hrs of arguably the best airport in the world......................... get a room, it's only money.

Good luck.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

Having a place to stay pre arranged is not a requirement to enter Singapore ( as per the the ICA website) , though having enough funds is. There is a hotel reservation desk in arrivals for visitors who arrive without prebook accommodation.

Following the last discussion on here about prebooked accommodation, I have left this section blank on the landing card on my last two visits and was not questioned,

However As I mentioned , going through immigration assumes you have arrived in Singapore from somewhere else and going through without having left the country will require some explanation ( like you have forgotten something landside or some emergency).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

You can get a hostel near town for about $20 a night... don't think immigration like a homeless traveler..

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

Also while the airline will give you a boarding card early, I'm not so sure the airport authority will let you airside quite so fast. I would put thus as a no goer.

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

That is correct myrm. I have checked in early about 14 hours before my flight (immigration at 9pm and flight is 11am next day). Immigration officer ask me why so early, do I have transit hotel booked? I replied I stay airside because it is safer but not book transit hotel. She smile and let me through. I am not sure if 24 hours or more BEFORE flight she would smile and let me through.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,359 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

<<if 24 hours or more BEFORE flight she would smile and let me through.>>

I`m pretty sure, a traveler wondering to/ from SIN every single day during 72 hours before the flight with the same boarding pass is OK for immigration at all..........

jakarta
Level Contributor
666 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

Hi BackpackerLee. If you desperately want to spend the 3 nights at Changi airport, you can spend 2 nights landside (maybe the aviation gallery at T2. I always see travelers resting/sleeping there at night) and the last night airside. But you need to find shower place somewhere.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Changi airport for 3 nights before flight

He can use shower (and a swim) at public pool.. the easiest is at Bedok which is along the way to Tanah Merah and Changi.. only $1.50 weekday and $2 weekend..